VMware Cloud Community
tambrosi
Contributor
Contributor

When VMware is taking snapshots of Virtual servers that have SQL 2008 running, they seem to hang during the snapshot.

Hope some body really help me out here.  The environment"

D13SQL1 OS is Windows Server 2008 64bit. SQL version is SQL Server 2008 Build 10.0.4000.
D11SQL1 OS is Windows Server 2008 64bit. SQL version is SQL Server 2008 Build 10.0.2573.
Both servers are virtual running on vSphere ESXi 4.1
Veeam is a third party product but really has nothing to do with the snapshots.
Vmware is taking the snapshots which is when the errors happen.

Issue:  when Vmware is taking snapshot, the database hangs during the snapshop. 

I have very active database that collects records from an async vb.net application, records are collected about every 1 to 3 minutes, when I see the Vmware snapshot being run, I do not see any records being posted to the database,  It is usually 20 to 30 minutes before I see records again.  These records are time stamped at record insert time.   So I can keep track of the times,  I see record inserted at 17:28 and the the next activity is 18:01.

When this was first starting to happen, I was seeing time out errors, which I think I corrected by increasing the timeout connection string to the db in the vb.app.

I was also seeing this message, A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)  I think the increase in time out value solved that also.   Hope somebody can really help me on this!!  Thank you.

Any ideas would greatly be appreicated.

Thanks

I cross posted to the SQL server also. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Almos sure this is due to the VSS snapshot on the Windows side. On event viewer probably you will see the VSS activity.

You can try removing VMware tools and installing it again without the VSS component, so your snapshots will not use it (this will make your backups not crash consistent). Test this way to check if it works.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos