VMware Cloud Community
Preferred_comm1
Contributor
Contributor

When I logoff a Virtual Win7 I cant access them anymore after a time?!

Hi
I use some Win7 who run "offline" who do some Jobs like run some Software who only on Windows run and other stuff.
That work good for me but... when I disconnect the Virtual Machine after a while the System seem to freeze up and I cant login anymore and the Software crash. I must login into my ESXi and move the Mouse in the VM GUI after that I can login with a RDP Connection. OMG what happen there and how to stop it?
Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Windows going to sleep? (Like it would if installed on a physical system)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Preferred_comm1
Contributor
Contributor

Windows say I cant select the Power Mode or it called in English now I could forced to never "shut the Display off" and never going into Standby. On my other much older ESXi Installation I have the same Problem back then I play with the Windows Settings as much I could but Win say No to any Change. Is there anything what the VMware Tools do, change in the Power (or how the called) Settings?
Thanks

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @Preferred_comm1 

Check the energy power plan. Within the power plan, you can configure the time when windows goes into sleep.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-power-options-sleep-modes-explained/

Regards

Daniel

Preferred_comm1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks I try it yesterday and it seem to work. So the ESXi dont force the OS to sleep when the connection is disconnect?

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @Preferred_comm1 

Yes, the hypervisor (ESXi) do not push the os to sleep. Make sure your hypervisor is running in high performance mode.

Steps to change the power policies using the vSphere Web Client:
1. Select the host from the inventory and click the Manage tab and then select Settings.

2. In the left pane under Hardware, select Power Management.

3. Click Change Policy and select the policy of interest

You also should make sure the high performance mode is set on BIOS for your system.

Daniel

Please mark as solved, when you are happy 🙂