VMware Cloud Community
philip_zhou
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I install ViewAgent on a VM, it does not prompt Connection Server address

Hi, I'm evaluating ESXi 5.1.

I setup several VMs in EXSi 5.1; There is also a domain controller;

I installed connection server on Windows Server 2008 R2, which is joined to the domain. VM and connection server are in the same domain. they can ping each other.

However I don't want to use View Composer.

When I install View Agent in the VM, the installer does not ask for connection server address.

It just ask me to select  components I want to install then I click next it starts installing.

On the connection server I tried to create a manual pool and add this VM but can't see the VM.

If I run the same setup package on a physical machine it will ask for connection server address like this:

345374_1318245444iq6s.jpg

So my question is, how can I install VMWare View Agent in VM and provide connection server address? Thank you very much.

Connection Server and View Agent version number are 5.1.2-928164

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ok,

So thats why, install your view agent using this parameter VMware-viewagent-5.x-<build>.exe /V”VMD_VC_MANAGED_Agent=0” then during the install it will ask which connection broker that the agent should connect to.

Regards,

Julien

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

You don't have to specify the view manager server on a vm. You issue is not here. Your VM is powered up? DNS resolution is ok in both way?

regards,

Julien.

0 Kudos
philip_zhou
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes VM is up and I'm using vSphere Client to connect to them.

What do you mean DNS resolution is OK in both way? If I connect a physical machine to the switch it will get an IP from the same DHCP server; and I can install MWare View Agent in the physical machine, during the installation I can specify the connection server address then add this physical machine to manual pool in Connection server management.

What I need to do is add a virtual machine to the manual pool. Without providing a connection server address, this VM can't be found from Connection server management.

Thank you.

Philip

0 Kudos
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Philip,

Do you have a vCenter?  and what i mean by DNS resolution : Can you ping with FQDN from your VM --> View Manager , and From View Manager --> VM.

Because , on your screenshot, i see that you are using an IP on your physical server. That's why it is working , no need resolving. But with a VM , view agent, needs to resolve your view manager, and view manager your VM.

Regards,

Julien

0 Kudos
philip_zhou
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No I don't have vCenter now. Is it mandatory?

0 Kudos
julienvarela
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ok,

So thats why, install your view agent using this parameter VMware-viewagent-5.x-<build>.exe /V”VMD_VC_MANAGED_Agent=0” then during the install it will ask which connection broker that the agent should connect to.

Regards,

Julien

0 Kudos
philip_zhou
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Julien,

Thank you very much for your reply. By using the parameter /v"VDM_VC_MANAGED_AGENT=0 now I successfully add the VM to a manual pool. Just a reminder that you accidentally typed VDM to VMD.

Now I can connect to the server (as breaker) and connect to my virtual machine.

0 Kudos
avillella
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tried this with version 6.1.1 and worked like a charm:

VMware-viewagent-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe /s /v"/qn VDM_VC_MANAGED_AGENT=0 VDM_SERVER_NAME=cs1.companydomain.com VDM_SERVER_USERNAME=admin.companydomain.com VDM_SERVER_PASSWORD=secret ADDLOCAL=Core,ThinPrint,USB"

Cheers,

0 Kudos