VMware Cloud Community
PCWC
Contributor
Contributor

What should be the disk mode for a virtual disk to be used as a clustered disk in Windows 2008 R2 2-node cluster?

I'm building a windows 2008 r2 cluster using one host.  What should be the disk mode for a virtual disk to be used as a clustered disk?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
pratjain
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are setting up a MSCS Cluster on ESXi host use RDM's and set the SCSI controller to Shared mode.

This document should provide you complete information

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-mscs-gu...

Regards, PJ If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
PCWC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi PJ

I'm setting up a 2-node cluster on same host (CIB) not across hosts (CAB) and are using VMDK instead of RDM.  I have read the document you provided but it does not mention anything about which disk mode to set.

Thanks,

PC

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

the document explains the disk mode in the "Supported Shared Storage Configurations" section (page 9).

Smiley Wink

Get some additional information from here:

VMware KB: Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS) support on ESXi/ESX

The document pointed by PJ user, is included in the above vmware's kb.

Best regards,

Pablo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
rsoc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The big thing with the "shared" disks in MSCS clusters on vSphere is that you need to use a second SCSI controller. So if your OS disk is on SCSI 0:0 then you need to create a SCSI 1:0 on each VM for the shared disks to communicate on. This is on page 13 of the document. You can use VMDK's as long as they are from a FC connected datastore or you can use RDMs in virtual or physical mode. Also, when I create a MSCS clusters in vSphere I like to put the shared disks in a separate folder named something descriptive to make it obvious that those disks are shared and that folder isn't a VM.

0 Kudos
PCWC
Contributor
Contributor

Clustered disk.png

Hi Pablo,

I'm talking about the Disk Mode shown in the above image.   I believe it should be set to Independent - Persistent.

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
PCWC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi rsoc,

I have already added a 2nd SCSI controller (see image in my post to Pablo).   I'm not sure whether the datastore is FC connected or not.  How can I check?

Regards,

Peter 

0 Kudos
rsoc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If your datastore is local (disks in your server) which is likely in your case then you wouldn't need to worry about the transport mechanism (FC or Fiber Channel). I have never built a MSCS cluster from virtual disks but "Independent - Persistent" would be the option that I would choose because you don't want snapshots on those disks for several reasons.

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

it must be independent persistent:

windows server 2008 r2 - How to present shared storage for MS Cluster Services running on vSphere 5 ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos