VMware Cloud Community
maltamirano9160
Contributor
Contributor

What's causing my "A general system error occurred: Timed waiting for vpxa to start" error? Trying to add 5.5 host to 5.0 vCenter Server

I have 3 hosts and vCenter Server essentials that I've just upgraded the license to vCenter Standard (so I can manage more than 3 hosts). When I try to add a 4th host, it will look like it's 'In Progress' but after a few minutes, I am presented with:

A general

system error

occurred:

Timed waiting

for vpxa to

start

I've already tried this suggestion from this KB: VMware KB: ESXi 5.0.x host fails to reconnect to vCenter due to vpxa coredump

But it did not fix it. I was also reading this thread: https://communities.vmware.com/message/2167131

Attached are some log files...

vCenter is 5.0, and I'm trying to add a 5.5 host. The plan is to add the 5.5 host to the group, so we can migrate VMs to the 5.5 host and upgrade each of the other host up to version 5.5.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have faced same issues and end result was same. You cannot use a vsphere client/Center of  5.0 or 5.1 to manage 5.5 hosts. But you can use vsphere 5.5 client/server to manage older versions

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

> vCenter is 5.0, and I'm trying to add a 5.5 host.

Please have a look at the solution interop matrix (VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes) what you are tyring to do is unsupported. They way to go would be to upgrade vCenter Server to 5.5, as it can still manage 5.0 hosts and then migrate the workloads to patch the rest of the hosts.

0 Kudos