VMware Cloud Community
Joaq82
Contributor
Contributor

What ports need to be open to allow remote connections to my host machine?

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question to ask as I am a student and new to the whole world of virtualization. I have scoured the net in search of an answer to my question before I decided to come to this site and I think I can't find the answer because I maybe asking the question in the wrong way. Here is the task that I am trying to accomplish:

I have a WRT54G3G-ST Linksys Router in my home and I have host machine set up with a static address. I want to be able to access my VM's from a remote locations when I am out and about(StarBucks). When I am setting up port forwarding in my router, what ports do I need to have open. As or right now I am playing around with the DMZ option in my router, but from what I am reading that will expose my Host machine completely to the Internet and that is what I want, but is it the safest way to go about it or would just opening specific ports be best?

By the way, I will be connection to the Host via Vsphere Client only.

Thanks for any suggestions that can be provided.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert

Check Required Ports  or Network Port Diagram.

BTW, I would NEVER espoxe ESXi management interface to the "wild". It was never meant to be! If you want to manage your host over public network, use VPN (either one of VM, or even better dedicated vpn-server/firewall).

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
Vmooze
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I see here that you have a LINKSYS WRT54G3G-ST router !!!     Did you try DD-wrt/openwrt ?

For accessing your Vhost from internet, you can access it directly, OR you can forward  RDP(port 3889) to a VM ip inside the host and run Vclient from it (faster responses).

You need to point your changing internet IP to a DynDNS/No-ip address http://geekswithblogs.net/saifkhan/archive/2008/12/28/setup-dyndns-dynamic-dns-on-a-linksys-wrt54g-r.... (( NOTE: DYNDNS is no more free, you can try No-ip or others but you might check if your router support it)

There is lotta Options that depends on your router capabilities, that's why i Asked you about DD-wrt ( contains no-ip,WOL,QOS... ).

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Joaq82
Contributor
Contributor

Well since Dyndns is a pay site now I didn't try that option. I also signed for an account on no-ip and set that up and I followed their instructions on how to set up and port forwarding, but in the end I didn't get the results I was looking for. I was looking through some Vsphere 5.5 documentation and it said that certain ports were supposed to be forwarded:
          8333 and 8222

when i set up port forwarding I for those ports only ports 443 and 902 were acknowledge as being forwarded. I also changed my firewall settings to make sure that it would allow the Vsphere client through.
My next thought would be that it has something to do with the cable modem settings that charter provided us with (should have mentioned this earlier).
This is how everything is set up: I have the cable I have the wireless Linksys WRT modem hooked into the ethernet port on the charter cable modem so that I would have wireless access to the internet, so I am looking into this right now.
0 Kudos