VMware Cloud Community
vSontae
Contributor
Contributor

What is the function of binding vmkernel to iSCSI port in iSCSI adapter configuration tab.

Hello,

I just explain my problem, in an other post because it will be more clear and helpful for others people after me..

In this screenshot :

Sans titre.png

I don't know why binding a vmkernel on nic to iSCSCI port, i've read the documentation and there'is no clearly explanation about that.

Can somebody can tell me shortly and clearly what the use of this stuff?

Thanks you very much, have fun on VMWare.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vSontae
Contributor
Contributor

Failover with Software iSCSI
With the software iSCSI, as shown on Host 2 of Figure 1-5, you can use multiple NICs that provide failover
and load balancing capabilities for iSCSI connections between your host and storage systems.
For this setup, because multipathing plug-ins do not have direct access to physical NICs on your host, you first
need to connect each physical NIC to a separate VMkernel port. You then associate all VMkernel ports with
the software iSCSI initiator using a port binding technique. As a result, each VMkernel port connected to a
separate NIC becomes a different path that the iSCSI storage stack and its storage-aware multipathing plugins can use

Exract from http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf page 25.

If I really good understood this is port binding is used for failover and for HIGHavaibility of sofware iSCSI.

I already have two NIC on my SAN, with failover functionnality with a vmkernel inside my san...

Is this port binding useless for me so on vmware?

I don't really understand how I can use this...

If somebody know...

0 Kudos