VMware Cloud Community
StefanMedelin
Contributor
Contributor

What is the best way the backup my VMs?

Hello

I have inherited this VMware ESXi 6 (I think, thats what it says in the Licensing tab) but Im not sure how should I proceed with backing up the 2 VMs installed on it

I know that you can save the ESXi configuration file but does that save the VMs installed on it with all its stuff as well?

I know I can export an ovf file of the VMs when they are turned off but is there a way to automate this task without me having to manually turn off the VMs and export them every time?

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey @StefanMedelin ,

If you don't want to use any external tools like NetApp or veeam, the best option would be to use the ESXi command line.

ESXi configuration is saved every hour automatically to the /bootblank/state.tgz file.

Sync config first:

vim-cmd hostsvc/firmware/sync_config

Back up ESXi configuration:

vim-cmd hostsvc/firmware/backup_config

As a result, you’ll receive a link to download the configBundle.tgz archive from the ESXi host

You can write a script to automate the process. 

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
For Vms backup, I recommend Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition, which is an easy and free tool ((up to 10 workloads).
The server backup can be installed on a PC or server (external) with enough disk space (even with an external USB disk).

https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html

With Veeam B&R you can schedule backups, receive alerts, define retention times and much more.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post needs moving, so I have reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
StefanMedelin
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I know of this methot but does the backup file hold all the info and configuration of the VMs installed on ESXi ? Is there I way can create a virtual environment and restore a machine using this backup file?

0 Kudos
ptarnawski
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@StefanMedelin wrote:

Hello, I know of this methot but does the backup file hold all the info and configuration of the VMs installed on ESXi ? Is there I way can create a virtual environment and restore a machine using this backup file?

Yes, that is what backups are for.  Depending on the method of backup, the process will be different. 

Visit my blog:AngrySysOps.com
YT: AngryAdminYoutube
Visit my:Xwitter

If my answer has successfully addressed your issue, kindly mark it as RESOLVED. If it has provided valuable assistance, consider giving it a KUDOS. Thanks
0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

The backup file "configBundle.tgz" does not contains any VM (Data/Config).  You need a 3rd. Party product to backup your VMs.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
StefanMedelin
Contributor
Contributor

So how does this work? Can I install the Veem client on any pc with access to the ESXi server and it will save the backup on the pc?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

In general when speaking about the programs which backup VMs they all leverage the vsphere api for data protection which is available on any payed vSphere ESXi (not in the free vSphere Hypervisor product). This API offer several way how to backup(NBD, HotAdd, SAN..) and often the backup vendor put something special on top of these.

Most of them have their management on a windows system(VM or Phys) and you tell them where to store the backups (NAS(CIFS,NFS) , Storage, Local Disk, S3 and so on).  Some of them use Linux and coming as appliance (VM or Phys.). In all cases they connect to the ESXi or vCenter.

If the VADP cant be used than you can install an Agent within the Guest OS and use the old school method.

Veeam B&R Comunity can be used for free and up to 10 "Objects" (VM, Agent, ...).  You might be able to install Veeam on your PC and yes you can store the backup on that PC. Check the Veeam requirements. We never use a Windows Desktop OS for Veeam because we have the need to perform a File Level Restore from Windows Server VMs which have windows deduplication/compression in use. When Veeam runs on a Win pro this cant be used. But i have customers where Veeam runs on a Windows 10 PC.

Regards,
Joerg

alt_n
Contributor
Contributor

Hi StefanMedelin, we are using Vinchin Backup & Recovery as our backup solution and it makes us satisfied. It also has free version for licensed ESXi so you can try it.

0 Kudos
aurora-chase
Contributor
Contributor

I also vote for Vinchin Backup & Recovery! Its backup function is really good and its recovery is very fast. https://www.vinchin.com/?s=ctadlwh8r8 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

@aurora-chase 

Pretty sure that you vote for this backup solution, as you are working for this company.
Please don't use the communities for product promotion, or at least add a note to your replies that you are working for the company.

André

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There are multiple products and ways to backup your VM's. Finding the one that works for you would depend on your skill level, your environment and your budget. Veem is very popular, there are free utilities that can do backups that require some technical expertise, I personally use Unitrends as I was using it prior to having VMWare so it was easy to incorporate VM backups into my schedules.

--Alan--

0 Kudos