VMware Cloud Community
jfilippa
Contributor
Contributor

What is "Exception - egress packets"?

We have the ESXi 4.1 over ibm x64 hardware plataforms with 4 nics each. All nics assigned to one distributed virtual switch. Eventually the file server guest (Windows 2003 Server), under heavi duty, have a little disconection, enough to hang a few applications. The guest have one installed vmxnet3 adapter.

While try to identify an solve the problem we see something that culd not figure out certanly. What is "Exception - egress packets" in stadistics of dvPortGroup. We attach an image with a red cirle in the question place.

Plz have an answer... thkz in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
spolz
Contributor
Contributor

Bump. I have the same question and cannot find any reference in the documentation.

0 Kudos
rnovosel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump. I need to know this as well.  Customer is asking.

0 Kudos
jasonHDC
Contributor
Contributor

Bump. I have the same question and cannot find any reference's either.  Has anyone had any luck finding the answer to this?

Jason

0 Kudos
bsier
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hope this helps:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1029844

Exceptions is catch-all bucket for packets that are not expected. For  example, you get a packet with vlan tags outside the allowed range,  packets with invalid ethernet header etc.

This is slightly different from drops, which can be caused by shaping  or a system temporarily running out memory. You do not see many  exception packets under normal circumstances. The exception packets are  ultimately defined by each vSwitch implementation. Cisco Nexus 1000v  defines its own stats. The only place VMware increments this stat is  invalid ether type in the packet.

john23
Commander
Commander

What i understanding i am getting, its not a packet drop, It will allow the packet with invalid vlan tag???

This case will happen in promisicous mode accept mode only?

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
jfilippa
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! As i understand "Execption - egress packets" are those with an error that make impossible the delivery to a valid destination. And the question now is way this packets have this errors?, but that's for packet analysis.

0 Kudos