VMware Cloud Community
gkpyeung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is going on --- This is no more space for virtual disk xxx_xxx-000001.vmdk

Hi,

Today, two hosts in a VM server just display the attached warning and I have no choice to click the CANCEL button and seems everythings still ok ...

Please give a hand to check on the attached and anything I needs to do ...

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
gkpyeung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Even worst now... cannot start up the host...

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hello,

you let a snapshot stay for too long on your storage, that's why it failed. The second picture you posted shows up that you can't start a VM because the swap space (= VM memory minus reserved memory) can't be expanded. The best you can do is shutting down all your VMs, going to the snapshot manager of the problematic VM and choosing "delete all". Make sure there is the least amount of IO happening during the snapshot deletion.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Icecubbe
Contributor
Contributor

Delete the snapshots. That should solve your issue.

Regards

0 Kudos
gkpyeung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all

Just cannot delete the snapshot... can I use shell command to delete it, is so please advice the command

Thanks

0 Kudos
gkpyeung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting, try another attempts, it seems can delete the snapshot but taking very long time again ...

0 Kudos
Icecubbe
Contributor
Contributor

Good Day,

It can take a long time sometimes. What backup software do you use? It should remove the snapshot after a VMDK backup depending on the software. Your issue should be resolved as soon as the snapshot has been removed.

Regards

Riaan

0 Kudos
Ram8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

What is the ESXi version? If it is above 5.0, try to consolidate the snapshots in the snapshot manager. Do you have additional datastores which are free to accommodate 1 VM? If yes, please migrate 1 of your VMs to a different datastore. This gives you some space to delete your existing snapshots. You may then power on your VMs.

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Kudos
gkpyeung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

the VM server is running 5.1.0 1117900

Indeed, I have already deleted all the snapshots for all HOST from that VM server

Besides, I noticed that the space of the data store is kept decrasing and now is only 57.19GB FREE ...

0 Kudos
Ram8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Please browse the datastore and check if there are any delta files (<vmname>-000001.vmdk, -000002.vmdk) in the datastore. If they exist, please create 1 snapshot and then delete all snapshots immediately.

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Kudos
gkpyeung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

As my previously post, there are several .vmdk files

So I needs to create a snapshot, afterwards, simply delete all .vmdk from the datastore

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Ram8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, you got me wrong. Please take a snapshot. Go to Snapshot manager and click on delete all snapshots option. Please do not touch the files in your datastore.

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Kudos