What inexpensive motherboards socket 1366 are compatible with ESXi 4.0 & 4.1?
I've found the following motherboards at ultimatewhitebox.com. I would really like to find a motherboard that is less expensive than what is shown below!
Motherboard ESXi Ver. Issues Approx Cost
* ASUS P6T Deluxe / Deluxe R2 4.0 Onboard SAS &n NIC not working $250
* ASUS P6T WS Professional 3.5i Requires modified oem.tgz $276
* ASUS Rampage III Extreme 4.0 Onboard SATA & NIC working! $300
* ASUS Sabertooth X58 4.0 Onboard SATA wroking, NIC not working $200
* SuperMicro X8ST 3.5, 3.5i, 4.0 Onboard SATA & NIC working $250
* GA-EX58-DS4 3.5i Onboard SATA working, NIC not working
* GA-EX58-UDR3 3.5i,4.0 Onboard SATA working, NIC not working $190 on sale
* Pavilion Elite m9600t 3.5i,4.0 Onboard NIC is recognized as a 82567V-2 Adapter. ich10r RAID 1 not seen but drives are visible.
I've looked at tyan, but they are server motherboards. Can someone recommend some "off the retail shelf " socket 1366 boards that do not have any issues, except the NIC does not work?
The motherboards themselves are very seldom the issue. It is almost always the embedded components and the vast majority of issues are NIC. I would say that you can use almost any MB but be prepared to add NICs and potentially a disk controller. Also have a look at vm-help.com