VMware Cloud Community
MianAlam
Contributor
Contributor

What if you consolidated before deleting snapshot - is this a problem

Hello, I recently consolidated a virtual machine before I deleted the snapshot - so if I delete the snapshot now, would I be causing any grief for myself?

Tags (1)
4 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If the consolidation was completed successfully then you can delete snapshots safely.

When you run consolidation, it doesn't delete the delta files. Consolidation check for any uncommitted delta files/redo logs which might have left in VM folder with previous snapshot operations.

For example, You are running a backup of VM which creates snapshot everyday and after backup it delete snapshot by merging data into base disk. For any reason, such no space left on datastore and then deleting or merging snapshot failed. A redundant or uncommitted delta file may be left on VM folder which causes performance and space issues later if it left in noticed. So you will run consolidation which will ensure only to keep consistent delta files as per snapshot chain, all other files will be removed.

So after a successful consolidation you can delete snapshot.

AjayChanana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is no harm in performing the consolidation before deleting snapshot.

although if you are finally deletting it . its better if you take one more snapshot (so it will get added at the end of chain) and then perform delete all.

Consolidation is require only for snapshots which are not listed in snapshot manager. There why this option has come.

I hope that answers

Regards,
Ajay Chanana
MianAlam
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
MianAlam
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much