VMware Cloud Community
TonyCi
Contributor
Contributor

What happens to VMDK files when expanding the virtual disks onto a new LUN?

I've added a new volume on my HP SAN.  I can now expand my existing Datastore onto this new LUN.  Now the datastore will live across multiple LUNs. If I expand the virtual disks on my VMs to use this new space, what happens to the VMDK files for these virtual disks?  Do they get split into multiple files across the LUNs?

Also....

Do I need to shut down the Windows VMs before expanding their virtual disks or can I simply expand the partitions in disk management while the VM is still running?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

TonyCI,

I believe while adding manually the diagnostic partition it might added the whole available configuration.If no data available you can delete the partition and then recreate the diagnostic partition.Make sure the host and datatstore(sDRS) are in maintenance mode.

Recreating : VMware vSphere 5.1

Deleting :  Deactivate and Delete a Core Dump File

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you plan to use extents to expand your existing datastore ?
Dont do that.
If possible migrate your VMs to a new datastore rather than creating a single combined datastore using 2 or more LUNs.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I've added a new volume on my HP SAN.  I can now expand my existing Datastore onto this new LUN.

Is there a specail reason why you don't simply resize the existing storage LUN, rather than creating a new LUN?

André

0 Kudos