VMware Cloud Community
dehidding
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What happened to vmware-vdiskmanager?

Documentaion indicates that vmware-vdiskmanager should be on the host in /usr/bin.  I've got a fresh install of 5.0.0 and there's no vmware-vdiskmanager that I can find.

Anyone know where it's hiding?  I really could use it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

vmware-vdiskmanager is used with hosted VMware products. For ESX(i) the vmkfstools command may be used.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

vmware-vdiskmanager is used with hosted VMware products. For ESX(i) the vmkfstools command may be used.

André

0 Kudos
devonhub
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

respectfully, that answer is not much help at all.  What exactly does "hosted VMware products" mean and what does it have to do with a VMware Fusion user not being able to find and use 'vmware-vdiskmanager'?

Why not say something like, "The 'vmware-vdiskmanager' is no longer installed with Fusion 5.x.  It can be downloaded from X." 

Searching the VMware site for where to get 'vmware-vdiskmanager' turns up nothing.  I don't know about 'dehidding' but we're trying to rename existing virtual disks.  There's no 'vmware-vdiskmanager' tool anymore and there's no UI provided to do this.  Why does VMware inconvenience their registered users like this?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@

VMware KB: Repairing a virtual disk in Fusion 3.1 and Workstation 7.1

0 Kudos
devonhub
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I didn't notice this discussion thread was about "ESXi".  My apologies for the noise post.

Kind of ironic however, instructions for virtual disk repair with Fusion 3.1 are not useful because that Fusion version is many years out old and I specifically mentioned in my [out of context] post that I'm using "Fusion 5".

0 Kudos