VMware Cloud Community
ksukat
Contributor
Contributor

What do I need to setup my software development environment with VM's

I want to have a virtualization server for a software development environment.

The software being developed does real time communication with a custom piece of hardware using the serial port.   USB to Serial adapter is currently used.  If I use ESXi (or something like it) to create and run the Virtual machines on, how can I accommodate the serial port?  The equipment cannot be located in the computer room.

Normally, I'd use remote desktop or something like it to use the running VM on the server, but with the serial port that is a no go.

Would appreciate any ideas here.   Currently, I have VMWare Workstation Pro installed on each developers computer where they create/use VM's.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

0 Kudos
ksukat
Contributor
Contributor

Let me try again.

Say I install ESXi on a physical server on my network.   Say I create a Windows 10 vm on that server.

Say I have a user named Mary.  Mary is using a local pc named Ted which has an external serial device connected to its serial port.

Is there vmware software that would allow Mary to access the serial port on Ted while using the Windows 10 vm on the server?

Timing on the serial port communication is critical.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This KB article might put you on the right track: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1022303

It walks you through how to set up a virtual serial port concentrator.

0 Kudos