VMware Cloud Community
mjamis
Contributor
Contributor

What creates /local.tgz in ESXi 4.1?

I've got many ESXi 4.1 machines installed via kickstart to a local SAN booted volume.   Upon upgrading firmware of the underlying hardware today, each physical machine had to be rebooted which necessitated migrating vms around between hosts to get idle them out before doing so.   The problem is that after rebooting, many (not deterministic at all, around 50%) of the machines had stale state, primarily in that the the vms that had just been migrated off them were back in the host inventory (/etc/vmware/hostd/vmInventory.xml).  After poking around a bit, it looks like vmInventory.xml is captured in /bootbank within state.tgz/local.tgz and also within /local.tgz.  I see that the bootbank version is written by the autobackup.sh scripts and should be getting updated on shutdown, but cannot figure out where /local.tgz comes from?  This file appears to have the old stale vmInventory file which is restored on boot and has to be manually deleted to reconnect the host properly to vcenter.  It also looks like ssl certificates are not restored or are stale, as vcenter makes me reaccept the certificates to readd these same hosts.

Thanks for any insight,

Matt

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I helped someone with a similar problem the prior week.  It seems to be a bug in ESXi.  local.tgz is used with Embedded and state.tgz with Installable.  Have you ever restored a config backup on these hosts?

0 Kudos
mjamis
Contributor
Contributor

No I haven't restored any configuration.    Today has been my first quite dissappointing introduction to the state issues with esxi vs. vcenter...

I see in esxi's init scripts where it checks for the /local.tgz file and restores it if present, but can't figure out what actually creates this file:

./vmware/init/init.d/16.rootfs-scan:

if [ -f "${LOCAL_TGZ}" ] ; then
   RestoreConfiguration "${LOCAL_TGZ}"
When you say "local.tgz is used with Embedded and state.tgz with Installable", do you mean the local.tgz that is within /bootbank in state.tgz or /local.tgz?  I see most posts related to this issue referring to /bootbank's copy rather than /local.tgz, but I'm struggling to find a definitive pointer on the purpose of /local.tgz or where it comes from.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

On Embedded the system config is stored in /bootbank/local.tgz, with installable its /bootbank/state.tgz  (state.tgz contains local.tgz as you've found).  What's in /bootbank/boot.cfg? You shouldn't have /local.tgz.

0 Kudos
mjamis
Contributor
Contributor

~ # cat /bootbank/boot.cfg
kernel=b.z
kernelopt=
modules=k.z --- s.z --- c.z --- oem.tgz --- license.tgz --- m.z --- state.tgz --- vpxa.vgz --- aam.vgz
build=4.1.0-260247
updated=2
bootstate=0
Even if I delete /local.tgz before rebooting, it gets recreated at some point during the shutdown or bootup, and nearly every time the old vmInventory file is restored.
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

The way VMWare operates is that 3 Hypervisor partitions are created  and used for normal operation. they are mounted as /bootbank,  /altbootbank and /store.

/store is simply used to ‘store’ data (e.g. VMTools isos and VI  client etc) as well as information for the vCenter Server agent and the  HA agent

Once you configure the Scratchconfig.ConfiguredScratchLocation  paramater for an ESX host (swap file) it will mount a 4th partition for  this purpose.

Anyway, the first two partitions mentioned above are used for the  ‘running’ config and ‘saved’ config . . very loosely similarly to the  way in which a Cisco router stores 2 different configs.
What happens with VMware though is that the ‘running’ config
/bootbank and /altbootbank are effectively the running copy of the ESX  firmware / config and the last saved version.

VMWare backs up its running config every hours (at the1 minute after  the hour)

to see if you have been getting these from backups you can check the date on the stage.tgz  file.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
mjamis
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate the responses, but I'm not sure the last one is related to my question.  I'm still not seeing the source of /local.tgz (the copy in root not /bootbank or /altbootbank)?  I'm troubled by the comment that I shouldn't even have this file in esxi, why is that?

I rebooted all machines again today for another change, and while I didn't have the issue with the vmInventory getting restored with a stale copy this time, I think there are still state issues because some random number of the machines came up and immediately exited maintenance mode on their own while others did not...

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

>  After poking around a bit, it looks like vmInventory.xml is captured in /bootbank within state.tgz/local.tgz and also within /local.tgz.  I see that the bootbank version is written by the autobackup.sh scripts and should be getting updated on shutdown, but cannot figure out where /local.tgz comes from?  This file appears to have the old stale vmInventory file which is restored on boot and has to be manually deleted to reconnect the host properly to vcenter. On a problem system if you extract state.tgz completely (i.e state.tgz then local.tgz into /tmp) is the vminventory file stale as well?

0 Kudos
wolfwolf
Contributor
Contributor

Dave Mishchenko wrote:

I helped someone with a similar problem the prior week.  It seems to be a bug in ESXi.  local.tgz is used with Embedded and state.tgz with Installable.  Have you ever restored a config backup on these hosts?

Could you elaborate a bit more on this ESXi bug?

We're experiencing an issue with ESXi losing config on reboot:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1713515

Do you think it's related to the bug you hit?

Thanks.

0 Kudos