VMware Cloud Community
PreedaS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What are the limitations of vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi free version)

Hi

I have to purchase new server for ESXi free version. What are the limitations of CPU or RAM?

Thank you

Preeda

www.thaivmadmin.com

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

PreedaS wrote:

Hi

I have to purchase new server for ESXi free version. What are the limitations of CPU or RAM?

There are unfortunately some quite hard limits, for example 8 GB vRAM, that is the total amount of RAM given to virtual machines. I would suggest you look at version 4.1 rather than 5.0.

(VMware does however still claim that virtual machines on the free vSphere Hypervisor could use unlimited RAM. This is most likely not correct.)

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

PreedaS wrote:

Hi

There are unfortunately some quite hard limits, for example 8 GB vRAM, that is the total amount of RAM given to virtual machines. I would suggest you look at version 4.1 rather than 5.0.

(VMware does however still claim that virtual machines on the free vSphere Hypervisor could use unlimited RAM. This is most likely not correct.)

0 Kudos
PreedaS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Ricnob,

Thank you very much.

Preeda

0 Kudos
louis-m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

is that per vm or total vram for vm's on one host?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Total vRAM for the host.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Matt wrote:

Total vRAM for the host.

Even if it has not been stated "officially" (only from VMware on the forums) it could be per CPU. Still not useful as few would buy a multi socket server today with 16 GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
louis-m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

oh dear..... i think i may now look at proxmox ve because 8gb vRam ain't worth much to me, especially if i have more pRam.

Hopefully things may change before the release but in the meantime, I'm starting to look elsewhere albeit not Hyper-V.

0 Kudos
tsommer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I was told 8GB Per Proc and 32GB total for the host.

0 Kudos