VMware Cloud Community
kendzi87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are differences in storage performance between virtual machine and physical one?

Has any one met with research regarding comparison in IOPS performance between virtual machine and physical one.
I am interested in information about 3 configurations (assuming OS is storage that is not tested):

1. IO from psychical OS to drive.

2. IO from virtual Os to drive that is part of datastore.

3. IO from virtual Os to drive that is passthrou to virtual machine.

I found information about CPU and memory usage but i didn't find straight answer to my questions Smiley Sad

Theoretical answer is also appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

IOPS (input/output operations per second) is the standard unit of measurement for the maximum number of reads and writes to non-contiguous storage locations.

IOPS is frequently referenced by storage vendors to characterize performance in solid-state drives (SSD), hard disk drives (HDD) and storage area networks.

IOPS numbers are affected by the size of the data block and workload performance, it's unlikely that vendors will use standardized variables when listing IOPS. Even if a standard system were used to determine IOPS, with a set block size and read/write mix, that number means nothing unless it matches up to a specific workload.

As conclusion, it is not related to Physical/Virtual OS.

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
kendzi87
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I know what IOPS are Smiley Happy

I just wonder is virtual layer somehow affecting, reducing number of it when comparing performance of virtual platform and psychical one.
I think that there are should be some delay because of Virtual Machine Monitor or VMKernel. I just want to confirm or deny my logic.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

To create a VM you need
to select one out of  the
following options:
Overhead of
VMFS-filesystem
IO-Performance
benchmarks

put your figures here
Overhead
for scheduling
resources
Overhead
for virtual
hardware
inside VM
Overhead
for NTFS
filesystem
Reacts to power-
failures like a
physical ...
Readable
when VMFS layer fails
VM uses a thick VMDK stored on VMFSsmall?smallsmallsignificantalmost as good as Windows requires precautions
VM uses a thick VMDK stored on VMFS via iSCSsmall?smallsmallsignificantalmost as good as Windows requires precautions
VM uses a thin VMDK stored on VMFSsmall - very large?smallsmallsignificantESXino
VM uses a thin VMDK stored on VMFS via iSCSIsmall - very large?smallsmallsignificantESXino
VM uses a thin VMDK stored on NFSnone?smallsmallsignificantlike a NFS-serveryes
VM uses RDM-VMDKvery small?smallsmallsignificantWindowsyes
VM uses a separate SCSI-device in pass throughnone?smallsmallsignificantWindowsyes

Folks use IO-benchmarks in the hope that it helps to decide the question:

What VMDK-type should I use in my case ?
Hope my little table helps to put the IO-benchmark-results in to perspective.
I highly recommend to decide this questions with the highest priority given to the column: Reacts to power-failures like a physical ...
IO-benchmarks may be useful - but dont ignore the other factors I listed.
The smaller the environment is the more relevant the other factors are.

0 Kudos