VMware Cloud Community
jregel1
Contributor
Contributor

Weird problem with vSphere client not connecting to ESXi host

I'm experiencing a very strange problem with my lab setup...

I have an ESXi 4.1 installation on a server which is running a number of virtual ESXi instances. These instances are located on their own "lab" VLAN. I have a Linux VM running which is acting as a router between my physical LAN and the virtual lab LAN.

When I try and run the vSphere Client from my physical LAN to connect to a virtual ESXi instance, I enter the username/password and the client never gets past the "Loading inventory" message. Eventually I get an error message:

"The vSphere Client could not connect to "192.168.10.9". A timeout occurred while loading the inventory".

The routing is working fine between the two networks (ping, traceroute and even the web interface to the virtual ESXi is fine) but I can't see what's going wrong here.

If I move the virtual ESXi instance onto my physical LAN VLAN (and set the appropriate IP address), the connection works fine. It's almost as if the problem is caused by the virtual router, but I can't see what can be wrong as it's routing.

Any ideas? Help much appreciated!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jregel1
Contributor
Contributor

An update:

I tried two different Linux builds, one using CentOS 5.3 and the other using OpenSUSE. Neither had any success.

I then tried an install of Vyatta and the connection is fine.

No idea what this is (and unfortunately don't have time to dig into it at the moment). At least there is a workaround.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - Is the router blocking any ports? Particularly 902 and 903 -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos