VMware Cloud Community
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Web Interface showing -111 Ports available on a Distributed switch... causes manually assigned IP address but it is self assigning an automatic IP (168.254.x.x)

So my issue has changed slightly. I think my original question was more of a symptom of a different problem. I'll leave the original one below but give an update to what I found. I had rebuilt the server and connected it to the same network and I ran into the same issue, where I manually assign an IP address but the server assigns itself an automatic address (169.254.x.x). I moved the server to another network and it works without an issue. The only thing I can see that looks wrong is that in the Web Client the Distributed Switch shows it has -111 ports. The vDS I plugged it into now that works shows a positive number of ports.

Has anyone run into this one before?

(See original message below)

~Ed

As the subject says, its a Server 2008R2 server with 1 vNIC (VMXNET3) and vSphere shows its connected. I have manually assigned an IP address but it is self assigning an auto address.

vSphere reports it has 2 IP Addresses. I moved the connected network to a network with a DHCP server and it obtained an IP address, I then moved it back to the correct network, reassigned the address, and it was good... until I reboot the server, then suddenly its getting the auto assigned address again.

It is running on ESXi5.1 Build 1063329, vHW v9, connected to a distributed switch.

The kind of odd thing is in the vSphere Web Client it shows that are -111 ports used on the distributed switch... although all other servers connected to the switch work. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. I have removed and added a vNIC again and I removed the old non-existing hardware from device manager, still no luck.

Any ideas? Was this a known issue and I need to update the software?

Also, an ipconfig shows the manually coded default gateway and DNS servers.

Let me know if any further information is needed to help solve this.

-Ed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After you get the automatic address does ipconfig /all show "Duplicate" next to the static IP address?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
HernanMaslowski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have this problem once and it was pre migration from standard switch to distributed and it was the presence of a snapshot, i deleted the snapshot and re migrate from standard to distribute and this remove the primary aleatory IP you are getting.

Hope hits helps

0 Kudos
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After you get the automatic address does ipconfig /all show "Duplicate" next to the static IP address?

0 Kudos
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It didn't show a duplicate address. There also were no snapshots, however it was connected to a standard switch and then I changed its connection to the distributed switch, not exactly a migration however.

I ended up deleting the VM and will try with a new one. I found some articles on TechNet that suggested resetting the TCP/IP stack may resolve an issue like this but it didn't do a thing to fix it.

I have installed many 2008R2 servers and never ran into this issue, and since it was a fresh install I am going to try to re-install it and see what happens.

I'll post back here if it happens a second time. Thanks for the suggestions received

~Ed

0 Kudos
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I have rebuilt the server, attached it to the same network, assigned an IP... and once again, I had the same issue.

I think it has to do with the interface reporting -111 ports on that distributed switch. In the mean time I attached it to another network that does not show a negative number and it connects just fine to that network.. so it seems my question has changed slightly.

Has anyone else run into this where the Web Client shows a negative number of ports on a distributed switch?

0 Kudos
etieseler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So it turned out that there was another system using the same IP. The strange thing is that this server did not report it at all to me, and before I assigned the IP address I pinged the address to check if it was free and all my pings timed out. Very unusual.

But I did find another system using this IP address, so I used a different address on the server and there are no problems... however the interface still reports a negative number of ports available. Maybe I'll open a ticket with VMware if its still there after I apply the couple of missing patches.

Anyways thanks for the input everyone!

~Ed

0 Kudos