VMware Cloud Community
sefsinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wake On Lan

Single Esxi 5.1 U1 host on a Dell Optiplex 755 USFF with Low power disabled in bios and WOL enabled in bios.

Hi all can  anyone let me know how to wake my esxi machine via the lan and magic packets.  Is there some setting I have to set in the console?

I know when setting up wol on windows I have to go into the network adapter settings and set something there and similarly with linux.  But not too sure what to do with the esxi. 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sefsinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I discovered I was using the wrong mac address. Smiley Happy

Also i added "ethtool -s vmnic0 wol g" to "/etc/rc.local.d/local.sh"  above "exit 0"  where vmnic0 is the name of the phycical nic esxi chose.

That command would persist the nic in wol mode and respond to magic packets  across reboots and runs at start up.

VMware KB: Modifying the rc.local or local.sh file in ESX/ESXi to execute commands while booting

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sefsinc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I discovered I was using the wrong mac address. Smiley Happy

Also i added "ethtool -s vmnic0 wol g" to "/etc/rc.local.d/local.sh"  above "exit 0"  where vmnic0 is the name of the phycical nic esxi chose.

That command would persist the nic in wol mode and respond to magic packets  across reboots and runs at start up.

VMware KB: Modifying the rc.local or local.sh file in ESX/ESXi to execute commands while booting

0 Kudos