VMware Cloud Community
ShahzadRasool
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WS 2012 R2 VMs: does this instance of ESXi 5.0 require patch?

Hello everyone,

I've started using Vmware ESXi 5.0 recently. I've enacted a host with following version. I'm having difficulty creating Windows Server 2012 R2 based VMs where upon booting it blows up and restarts continuously. Then I found this  (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200685...)KB article.

Does this patch applies to this installation of VMware ESXi 5.0 I'm currently? Please help. Thanks.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Shahzad.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes.  I would say install Update 3 and you should be good to go.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No you are not on the right version, you are on the GA version and you need to be on at least update 1 and patch 4.  Here is the link to build numbers.

VMware KB: Correlating VMware products build numbers to update levels

0 Kudos
ShahzadRasool
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello GMCON,

Thanks for that link. So from that KB article if i install any of following patches (preferably 7) would that help creating WS 2012 R2 based VMs?

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Shahzad.

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

As per the KB below you need to Install Patch 2 for Windows Server 2012 not sure will it be applicable for Windows Server 2012 R2

Windows 8 Developer Preview / Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate does not boot on ESXi 5.0. To resolve this issue, you must install patch ESXi500-201112001 (Patch 02)

VMware KB: Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 Operating System does not boot or install on ESXi or ESX

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes.  I would say install Update 3 and you should be good to go.

0 Kudos