ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  WMWare fault-tolerance limitations

Posted Feb 25, 2014 08:53 PM

Hi All,

I tried to enable fault-tolerance on our new VMWare environment. We have four Dell posweredge R720 servers and each machine is having  64 GB RAM and 6 core proecessor.

As per outr design, we want  to enable falut-tolerence on all of our VMS which include share point server, Exchagne server, CRM server, SQL database etc. Total number of VMs would be 16.

But when i am trying to enable fault tolerance , it is allowing only 6 VMs. It give the error message ' No more resource to allocate'.

Does Fault-Tolerance consumes a lot of resources. Or do i need to tune my configuration.

Is it a right design to enable fault-tolerance to provide hardware redundancy. Or is there any other software/solution to provide hardware redundancy.

Regards,

Bineesh

• 2.  RE: WMWare fault-tolerance limitations

Posted Feb 25, 2014 09:12 PM

Welcome to the Community,

Fault Tolerance is actually the only feature which provides continuous operation of a VM in case of a host failure. However, it comes with a couple of limitations like four protected VM's per host, one vCPU per VM, no snapshots (e.g. for backups), ...

I also doubt that a single vCPU will meet the requirements for all of your VMs (Exchange, SQL, CRM, ...)!?

Another feature - without such limitations - you could may a look is HA. However this will restart the VMs in case of a host failure, so you will have a short downtime.

André