Contributor
Contributor

WMI Provider host high CPU referencing process ID vmtoolsd.exe

Hello.

VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 16075168

VM: Windows Server Standard 2019 48GB ram and 12 vCpus

VMware Tools: Running, version:11269

Dell R510 with recent BIOS and firmware updates

This is a remote desktop server and in the past year it has consistently suffered from high CPU and slow/sluggish locked up RPD sessions. We have had Microsoft take a look at in depth logs but nothing has helped except adding more resources to it over time (it started with 2 vCpus now it has 12) and restarting it often. After a week or so it's always back at 98-100  percent cpu average.

I did notice that the WMI Provider host (inside Windows) is taking about 50 percent of the vCpu time, and that when I go to Event viewer, app and services, Microsoft, Windows, WMI Activity, there are constant entries referring to process ID 3544 which in the details tab of task manager points to vmtoolsd.exe:

Id = {9155ACCC-0D46-49C8-9EC0-5D7DB550CECE}; ClientMachine = AC01-33SVR; User = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM; ClientProcessId = 3544; Component = Unknown; Operation = Start IWbemServices::ExecQuery - ROOT\CIMV2 : Select Version from CIM_Datafile Where Name = 'C:\\Windows\\System32\\svchost.exe'; ResultCode = 0x80041032; PossibleCause = Unknown

I did see a reference to WMI Provider adn high CPU on the forums but it was for a Horizon which we don't have. Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
pksupport
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! Do you know if the guest needs to be rebooted after this configuration change?

0 Kudos
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately no

Should be just plain service disable

Moreover it can be done using the powerCLI on the cluster/host level

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81033

0 Kudos