VMware Cloud Community
sxlaws
Contributor
Contributor

WAN dhcp not working

Hello, I've just setup an ESXI 5 machine for testing and home use and I can't get internet access.  I've configured vSwitch0 with a VM Network and Configuration network and connected it to my NIC which is on my internal network.  I then created vSwitch1 with a VM Network called WAN and attached it to the NIC that is connected to my cable modem (directly).  After this, my I had hoped that I could simply add a NIC from the WAN port group and add a NIC from the LAN and create a router/gateway machine but the WAN vNIC times out trying to acquire an IP.

I've been able to get WAN access by using vt-d and passing through the WAN nic (after removing the vSwitch and rebooting) but my ISP provides me two IP's and I would like the ability to use them as well as snapshots and other features.

Any ideas?  The physical nics are onboard broadcom (WAN) and PCIE Intel CT Desktop adapter (LAN).

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

Hi,

What are you using as your router VM in terms of operating system?

I take it your modem is also a switch/router?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
sxlaws
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm using OpenSuse 11.4 for my routing VM as I virtualized my old physical machine and my modem is a Cisco DPC3825 in bridged mode.  After resetting the modem and still not getting anything, I called my ISP and they indicated the modem is only pulling one address which makes sense as the modem is directly attached to the ESXi 5 box and then also directly to a small router for my IP phones.  The ISP also indicated I should be able to pull up to three IP addresses.

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you seting DHCP in your WAN port?

abirhasan 
0 Kudos
sxlaws
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, DHCP is enabled within the VM but times out.  I've googled and I've seen a few other posts about such a problem but I've seen no solutions or potential things to look at.

0 Kudos
sxlaws
Contributor
Contributor

I did some additional testing which involved removing the cable modem and plugging the NIC into a router.  It seems that the NIC (onboard BCM57781) doesn't work in that scenario either.  So, I installed another Intel CT desktop adapter and tried that and the problem was resolved.

So it appears the Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM57781 Gigabit adapter is not fully supported which is why is worked only in passthru mode.  It is curious though as I thought they added support for this recently.

Thanks

0 Kudos