VMware Cloud Community
mummonth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

W2012r2 VM fresh install networking issue

Hello, gents.

I am out of ideas.

I have very weird issue with networking on freshly installed w2012r2 VM.

And I've spent several hours trying to determine on which level there is  an issue and I am still have no full clarity.

The issue is simple - freshly installed VM cannot see network and ping gateway.

I've tried it on 3 ESXi 5.5 (1474528) hosts and on those hosts there are other VMs w2012r2 and w2k8r2 are running and working fine with network.

On this VM it just show Unindetified network and that's it.

I've tried different things: change portgroups, re-create vNICs (both as E1000E and VMXNET3), install/uninstall VMware Tools, upgrade vHW, migrate to other hosts, reinstall from different ISO images, checked networking configuration on host level, tried different IPs in guest OS, disable IPv6, set netowork speed and duplex, recreate routes in Windows and other stuff ...

VM able to ping it's own IP but nothing on the network.

Something i am missing ... but nothing comes to my mind.

What am I missing? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
21 Replies
jonedved
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you have access to the physical switch (or find a colleague who can help you access it)

1. Ping from the VM which has the issue (continuous ping with "ping -t").

2. Check the VM MAC address

Login to the network switch to witch the host is connected and check the mac address table - look for the VM MAC address.

If you see the MAC address - note in which VLAN is the MAC showing up.

Then you know the VM is on the network, it should bring you closer to resolution.

I suspect you have VLAN membership or tagging issue or port security issue or configuration (make sure you're using correct uplink) issue.

0 Kudos
mummonth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everybody, VMware support has assisted to find the issue.

One of the vmnics is not working, we were able to create separate portgroup and add only one vmnic to it.

With one vmnicX network communication works with another vmnicY it fails.

Thanks everybody for your prompt responses and willingness to assist, this wasn't an easy one!

0 Kudos