VMware Cloud Community
lmeier
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere and cloud computing interaction

Hi,

This is my first time on here Smiley Happy

My question is is it possible to setup up an ESX4 backend with a customer front end.

Basically we may have a possible project which we need to have a customer interface so the customer has access to the resources given and can setup machines etc on a lease basis. Similar to something like Google have done.

Obviously this would need a web front end where the user logs in etc and a payment system.

Could this be done.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
benma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Your project is possible but its a lot of work.

Take a look at the SDK and APIs.

.com/support/developer/

Hope that helps

lmeier
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response Benma Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Jack10808
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys.

I have a similar issue, but I need the interface for an internal cloud that I have.

I will like the users in Accounting or Legal, etc to be able to login to an interface and create their own machines.

Maybe do some charge backs, etc.

Also they will need to be able to shutdonw machines or restart, look at the console, ect.

vCloud Express is something that Vmware has like that I think, but I don't think it is out.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

That can still be done now , you can create such user/groups in vSphere 4.0 VC and then let them login with VI client. You will have to create resource pools on which you want them to perform operations. You can control the operations through the permissions/roles you have assigned them.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
benma
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@[~603059] yeap thats true but i think the two guys are looking for a webfrontend.

The enduser aren't technical related and need a simple frontend, not the vi client.

0 Kudos