VMware Cloud Community
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere Esxi 7.0 Licensing Question

Hello,

I am a newbie on the topic of VMware. I need to order VMware vSphere (Esxi) 7.0 standard edition. I'm not sure
if I need to submit my quote for the number of physical or virtual CPUs.
Please see attached with screenshots for the server CPU specs logical and physical So, 28 or 56 CPUs?

I've read some of the vsphere 7.0 licensing docs, but I am still confused.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

ESXi CPU licenses are purchased for physical CPUs (sockets), where - as of version 7.0 - one license covers a maximum of 32 Cores/CPU.
According to the Intel specs, the 6132 has 14 Cores, so one license per CPU is what you need.

Please notes that in most advanced features of a Standard license, also require vCenter Server, and shared storage.
I don't know your use case, but if it's only a single host, you may consider e.g. an Essentials Kit license, rather then Standard.

André

obarrera1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi friend,

I'm new in vmware too and when I order my licences it was for the phisical CPU's not the logic ones.

I have 6 phisical CPU's and I will add those servers to a cluster so I order 6 licences. Those servers have a minimum of 28 logic CPU's and until now I didn't have issues with the licences.

I hope this can help you.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post needs moving, so I have reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

thank you Andre for your response!

also Vcenter is not needed for this small deployment, so I will go with essentials

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott28

where should I have posted my question?

Thank you

0 Kudos