Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere 5 setup

Recently purchased

1 PowerVault MD3220i with redundant iSCSi connectors

2 PowerConnect 6224 Switches

2 PowerEdge R410 Servers with onboard dual Gbe nics

VSphere 5 Essentials Plus

We have approximately 8 VM's that will be used for this.

What would be the best setup to utilize what we have?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Welcome to this community.

1. Check if this hardware are compatable for VMware in HCL link below:-

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/vcl/result.php?search=PowerEdge+R410+&searchCategory=a...

2. As you got  vSphere Essential Plus license we are good go..

3. You have mentioned that you have to run 8 VMs.

4. this server comes iwth six core and quad core and 128 GB RAM MAX in single server. I am considering that your using six core and 128 GB.

5. VM sizing is based on the physical resouces Usage, for example, So with six core CPU you can have 6 VMs with 1 VCPU considering that it uses full resources of the server and RAM can shared according. so considering 50% physical resources usage of VM you can have 12 VM with 1vCPU and RAM shared.

mbartle99 wrote:

We have approximately 8 VM's that will be used for this.

What would be the best setup to utilize what we have?

6. You need to know the feature of Essential plus

VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit for 3 hosts (Max 2 processors per host) and 192 GB vRAM entitlement

For Backup you can use VDR as its included in the package, Also you can configure HA as its also included.

7.Do normal installation of ESXI on both the servers and create VM, install VC, Create a cluster and enable HA.. install VDr and confiure it.

Award points by clicking the below tab if the answer is helpfull or correct.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
mbartle99
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. The only thing that I ask is that as I am a newby to VMWare, can you provide more detail instructions with regards to install and setup? Dell has been helpful but haven't quite given me resolute answers and I was hoping the VMWare could.

Malcolm

0 Kudos
mbartle99
Contributor
Contributor

Just to follow up, ESXi has been installed on both servers, creating VM's is not an issue. It would be the clustering, HA and vDR. How do you connect it to the SAN using the iSCSi initiators, etc.

Malcolm

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I assume you are going to use Software iSCSI initiator , if that is the case you have create a VMkernel Port and follow the  Documents here

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos