VMware Cloud Community
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vsphere 5 client from Windows 8 - The VMRC console has disconnected

Hello,

when i try to open a console-screen of a VM a will receive the following error : The VMRC console has disconnected...attempting to reconnect. The screen stays black.

Client : Vsphere 5

Client OS : Windows 8 Developer Preview

When connecting from a windows 7 client to the same VM there is No problem.

Anyone who knows a solution for this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
30 Replies
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 8 is RTM and still no solution for this issue?

When will there be a fix for this???

0 Kudos
DAdvocate
Contributor
Contributor

Also running Windows 8 Enterprise RTM

Problem 1:

Originally had an issue where IE10 wouldn't let me visit the vCenter server to download the client due to bad certificate

Resolution:

Internet Options > Advanced Tab > disable "Warn about certificate and address mismatch"

Problem 2:

vSphere client barked about only being installed on a XP and higher probably because it does not recognize the OS version number. Quit install.

Resolution (sorta):

Right clicked on vSphere installer > Properties > Compatibility > run in Windows XP mode

Rerun the install from the altered installed

vSphere installed fine with no errors and I am able to login and manage the environment

0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi DAdvocate,

you also have a solution for console from vcenter-client on Windows 8 (The VMRC console has disconnected) (see attachment)

This is working well on your windows 8?

0 Kudos
we10
Contributor
Contributor

Your work around is not working for me. tried all the compatibility mode and still not working.

And pls what do u mean by altered install?

Running Windows 8 Enterprise RTM as well.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DAdvocate
Contributor
Contributor

mauser!

My mistake. I ran through some of the other management windows (network/storage etc) but never opened up a console. I do indeed get the VMRC error people are complaining about.

I will update if I find out something.

0 Kudos
PeteLong
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
mauser_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello!

Solution : Download and install vmware vsphere 5.1 cliënt.

Problem is solved by Vmware!

0 Kudos
squevill
Contributor
Contributor

I found that I was able to upgrade the vCenter server to 5,1 and still manage  vSphere 5.0 hosts and still use View 5.1. After installing the VI client 5.1,  I am now able to connect to the VM's console in Windows 8 Smiley Happy.

Note that this is in a test lab environment, View 5.1 seems to work fine with vCenter 5.1 so far... you milleage may vary.

0 Kudos
AAmodei
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Guys,

For those of you with issues with this that can't ugrade to vSphere 5.1 just yet (SRM issues, monitoring tools can't/wont work with VMWare 5.1, etc)

I created a workaround for vSphere 5.0 that will allow sys admins in Win 8 to have a nice little powershell wrapper which hopefully makes your job a bit easier for console access to your vm's.

There is most likely room for improvement, however if you have access to your vcenter and the root account (or with a little tweaking, any localized ESX/ESXi host account), you should be able to connect to the console without issue. I've tested in esx 4/esxi 4/esxi 5 with the vSphere clients 4.1 - 5.0

This app will requires that Powershell v2 or greater is installed, as well as PowerCLI 5.1 is installed.

It's just a very simple little app to help IT folks stuck in 5.0 until you get to the next version. It's harnessing the VMRC client.

I make no guarentees on this software, please use at your own right, the code is in simple powershell, so you can look/make changes if needbe.

Enjoy! Please email me at aamodei@gmail.com if you have any questions and I will do my best to help out!

Usage:

1. Simply download the vconsolewin8 package zip, unzip to C:\vconsolewin8 (must from from C - hardcoding, sorry - just a quick and dirty app) and execute the vConsoleWin8v2.1 bat script (shortcut with icon included)
  2. Enter vCenter Server name (IP or DNS)
  3. Enter your domain creds (domain\username) and password
  4. Under VMName, simply enter the name of the vm you wish to call the console of (MUST be DNS name, IP doesn't work, sorry)
  5. Under Root Password, enter the root password of your esxi hosts where the system resides (if you use different passwords for clustered hosts, you can check where the VM is running via vCenter)
  6. Click Connect to Console and you should have the VMWare VRMC window pop up with the system connection live.

Add'l goodie - The app will stay open with the last entered information available, so if you share the same credentials for 1 vcenter, you can open multiple system consoles simply by entering another VM Name and clicking Connect to Console again!

It ain't perfect, but I'm hoping it helps some folks out!

0 Kudos
AAmodei
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, posted to quick!

Thanks to everyone on this forum, as your conversations and links helped me to create this!!

Thanks again!

-Anthony

0 Kudos
PeterCr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update 2 for vSphere 5.0 was released a couple of weeks ago, the client included with this works on Windows 8. Just tested against a vCenter 5.0 Update 1 installation with no console problems.Smiley Happy

You can download the update 2 client from the link below.

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VC50U2&productId=229&rPId=3283#

0 Kudos