VMware Cloud Community
SiMolloy
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere 5.0, Windows 2012 & RemoteFX/PCoIP

I'm trying to find out whether I can incorporate RemoteFX/PCoIP on a high-latency WAN configuration in our company.  We have 2 * VSphere 5.1 physical hosts, with a Windows 2012 RDS server providing desktops to the users.  They work in a media rich environment and are struggling with video streaming and image manipulation over the slow links, and although RemoteFX and PCoIP sound like they could help, I haven't found anywhere that states I can use either in a mixed environment, such as our one.  RemoteFX works with Hyper-V, PCoIP works with View - is there any way of getting it to work in our current configuration?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
regnak2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I view RemoteFX as a LAN protocol still - you'll need to implement PCoIP or HDX (Citrix). As you already have Server 2012 and RDS, you're already using RDP - are the clients using RDP 8.0 (Requires Win 7 SP1 or Win 8 if I recall)?

My suggestion would be to look at PCoIP for Server 2012:

http://www.teradici.com/pcoip-solutions/rdsh-solution/overview.php

Alternatively you can deploy Citrix XenApp to try the HDX protocol on the RDS Server.

Both can deliver the experience you require but may require tweaking to function well over the link speeds and latencies you are experiencing. They both provide tools for analysing their use which greatly helps diagnosing the initial deployment. Google for best practices guides and they should point you to relevent tuning documents.

Regards,

Mike

SiMolloy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your excellent response Mike!  We are using RDP 8.0 but due to licensing restrictions cannot use Citrix, which is what we've traditionally used in these instances.

I'll certainly check out that Teradici link as it seems to fit the bill perfectly.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos