VMware Cloud Community
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vsphere 4 Updates \ Build Number differences

I installed Vsphere 4 Update 2 onto an ESX Server, i then used Update Manager to apply the updates. (i think there was only one critical and near 9 others). Version information i have on the esx is:

4.0.0 Build 261974

A customer of ours has Vsphere 4 installed, I used Update manager to apply the updates. The build shows as:

4.0.0 294255

Why is there a difference between the two?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Build Number 261974 is base 4.0.0U2

Build Number: 294855 is U2 w/ patches

I'm not quite sure what 294255 is. Maybe there are a few patches missing?

To check i would issue the command

vmware -v
vmware -l

or

esxupdate query

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have run the two commands on both ESX server, and i got this back:

Vmware -v

Build 261974

Vmware-l

Update 2

So my number that i am looking for show be 294855, as i have downloaded and applied patches...?

There is one patch in update manager which says i updates Apps, CIM, Scripts, VMware Tools that i have not yet applied. As compliance says CONFLICT.

I asked VMware and they said not to apply the patch??

So how do i get the build up to the correct level?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

what build are you trying to get to? If you want the latest build, just create a Host Patch baseline for esx 4.0.0. Or on or before 9/30/2010. For more details on available updates see http://www.vmware.com/patch/download/

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I created a new Host Patch Base Line, Dynamic, ESX 4 Any Update, with all date ranges

When i scan the host it says 10 updates need to be applied, one has a conflict.

So i applied 10 patches, ESx rebooted..but the build number does not change.

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I downloaded the update package from the site above. Zip file ESX400-201009001.zip

I have extracted the contents to the Update manager server.

Do i need to configure a shared repository for this to work?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

my guess is you are hitting a bug, that wasn't fixed until 4.1, so I wouldn't be too concerned. See the below thread for some more details

0 Kudos
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very odd, i downloaded and used esxupdate utility to install on to the host and it worked.

it also installed the update that i did not install from update manager as it was showing as there is a conflict.

0 Kudos