VMware Cloud Community
AnalogKid99
Contributor
Contributor

Vpshere Client MKS Error on just one out of three Windows XP machines trying to Access ESX 4 U1

Hi

I've suffered from day 1 with the following error when trying to connect to a VM Console:

Unable to connect to the MKS: Could not connect to pipe
.\pipe\vmware-authdpipe: The system cannot find the file specified.

After which the VM Console screen remains blank (either Black if viewed within the console OR white if a new console window is opened)

I do though have fill access to the Web UI which allows me to start the VM’s, configure ESX and other functions

I'm running Vsphere Client 4 update 208111 against ESX 4.0 Build 208167

This has affected only 1 of my 3 Windows XP machines – ie the other 2 XP machines, on the same/lan/subnet work fine.

All XP machines are:

• on the same LAN subnet - There are no firewall issues

• The 'Problem' Windows machines has been upgraded from XP SP2 to SP3 - to bring it in line with the other two laptops upon which Vsphere Client does work

• On the problem machines I've tried some 10-15 different procedures including:

• o XP firewalls off

• o ensured there's no VPN software running

• o removed anit-virus

• o removed Zone Alarm

• o gone from Dynamic to Static and back again IP addresses

• o Ensured my .Net is 3.5 SP1

• o Tried creating direct shortcuts to the VM’s themselves

• o And Tried to bring up the VM Consoles via the Vsphere Client command line method using to

• In total I've read and reviewed 80 or more articles from various forums to try and solve this.

Concerns about Ports 902, 903, various ESX services running or not running may not eb relevant here – as ESX is certainly working with two of the XP laptops

What is clear is:

• The laptops that do result in the VM Console appear have 'short' error log files under the XP Laptops directories......\Application Data\VMware\VPX

To Note:

I am not running Virtual Centre - my initial requirement is just for VSphere Clients on this single Test/Dev LAN to access the ESX Sever (also on the LAN) -

I'm happy to post the compare and contrast logs between the laptops for which the VM Console appears and doesn’t appear.

I would truly appreciate any comment and be happy to send/pm/post any log information

Regards

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
athlon_crazy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you try restart "vmware-vmkauthd" service?

vcbMC-1.0.6 Beta

vcbMC-1.0.7 Lite

http://www.no-x.org

http://www.no-x.org
0 Kudos
AnalogKid99
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - Yes tried this when I first encountered the problem last week.

As I have two XP Laptops with VSphere Client currently connected to my VMConsoles on my ESX Server - But a Third Laptop(Vsphere Client) will not connect, leads me tobelieve the issue is back at the VSphereClient/XP Operating system level?

I truly appreciate your reply

0 Kudos