VMware Cloud Community
maneerat_45
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware esx 3.5 have problem "A file was not found"

Dear All,

I have the VMWARE problem, on 8 July 09 my site has restart node esx003 (can't use vmotion because this node is stand alone) but 2 instants can't start and show error :

1. A file was not found.

2. Powering on a virtual machine fails

3. .vmdk files are missing.

Please help me to find out root cause

Remark: I found a reference link of similar problem and how to solve it but not sure it's exactly the same issue that I can follow or not:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The datstore view is fine. As you would only see .vmdk files there.

Is there only one HDD attached to this VM? Please also browse the datastore on the SC and see if you can see a -flat.vmdk file. If the file is there the disk should be fine.

Please also check the vmx file to confirm if the HDD path is correct.

Hope this helps!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you say .vmdk files are missing can you not see any vmdk files i.e .vmdk or -flat.vmdk.

Please post the files currently present in the Vm's folder.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
maneerat_45
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is vmdk file but when I try to create new virtual server and browse to map this vmdk disk that has problem, I don't see this vmdk disk

After that I explore datastorage screen I see type is "File"(please see detail in attached files) Is it corrupt virtual disk? normally, it is "virtual disk"

0 Kudos
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The datstore view is fine. As you would only see .vmdk files there.

Is there only one HDD attached to this VM? Please also browse the datastore on the SC and see if you can see a -flat.vmdk file. If the file is there the disk should be fine.

Please also check the vmx file to confirm if the HDD path is correct.

Hope this helps!!

0 Kudos
maneerat_45
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem have already solved.

Root cause: config file missing (.vmdk).

Thank you for good support.:D

0 Kudos