VMware Cloud Community
sagar666
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmware VM monitoring and Application monitoring

Hi,

I have two hosts host A has VM1 running oracle database and Host B has VM 2 running NFS and NIS application. I have enabled HA and Vm ware vm and application monitoring. I have installed VMware tools in both VM's 1 and 2.

I just understand hosts using vmware tools heart beats and I/o to detect VM failure. Some situation VMware tools failed to send heartbeats and still Application functioning properly. In this case VM are restarted ?

Any other configuration i have to do to monitor running application in guest operating system apart from enabling vm and Application monitor in cluster?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Some situation VMware tools failed to send heartbeats and still Application functioning properly. In this case VM are restarted ?

No the HA VM/Application monitoring will also monitor the I/O. So even if the VMware tools stopped working, the application is working fine, it will check for the I/O and make sure it doesn't just restart the machine based on VMtools heartbeat.

Take a look at the link below. This concept is explained very well.

vSphere HA VM Monitoring - Back to Basics - VMware vSphere Blog

You need application SDK for the application you will be monitoring to monitor it. Just enabling it will not do the job.

Here's the link for VMware Documentation : vSphere Documentation Center

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos