VMware Cloud Community
cer113
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware VDP Data Protection

Hi

I am thinking of implementing VDP protection 5.1 until my company approves more expensive and robust backup.

There are instructions how to do and pretty easy to follow but one thing stays unclear. There are 3 types 0.5 TB 1 TB and 2 TB which shows the disk size for different flavors. for 0.5 TB and 1 TB things are clear since i can add LUN format it as VMFS 5 and get 2 TB of space but what happens with 2 TB VDP. 2 TB VDP will occupy 3.1 TB of space.

My question is what kind of storage I would have to add to ESXi host to have for example 4 TB LUN. Do i have to add NFS storage to it and install applicance on NFS storage.

My assumption is that VMFS 5 datastore size maximum is 2 TB which means that 2 TB VDP will not fit in there.

Is there way to add 4 TB of storage without formatting it as VMFS store which will limit to 2 TB. For example i would like to add 4 TB of storage present it to ESXi host and install appliance there

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMFS datastore maximum size is not 2TB. Its 64TB. You can create upto 64TB LUn and add it as a single datastore. So you can easily create 4TB LUN and make it a datastore for your VDP.

Check this

VMware KB: Frequently Asked Questions on VMware vSphere 5.x for VMFS-5

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMFS datastore maximum size is not 2TB. Its 64TB. You can create upto 64TB LUn and add it as a single datastore. So you can easily create 4TB LUN and make it a datastore for your VDP.

Check this

VMware KB: Frequently Asked Questions on VMware vSphere 5.x for VMFS-5

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
cer113
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer. I would mark this as answered but apparently they made this site more and more unusable. When I started posting here everything was nicely organized but now it is huge mess and I don't like the way they organized this site. Apparently some lazy guy worked hard to mess up this site to make it extremely hard to navigate.

But to you my friend thanks a lot you answered this question I just cannot make it marked as answered.

0 Kudos