VMware Cloud Community
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmware Tools kills my VM

Hi Guys,

Last day i've update our LAB to the ESXi 6.0 however the Win10 machines Vmware tools are updated too.

Version 9.10.0, Build-2476743 the issue now it shows the NIC is 169.154.17.204

have rebooted the VM twice removed VMware tools and reinstalled them,

the issue still exisit !

already did this but still no vail.

PS : the vMware tools kills two VM.

1) Remove the NIC and reboot the VM.
a) Right-click the VM > Edit Settings > select the NIC and click Remove > OK.

2) Delete the Interfaces and Adapters from the Registry.
a) Click Start > Run and enter regedt32 and press enter.
b) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
c) Expand Interfaces and delete all entries (delete folders from the left pane).
d) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Adapters
e) Expand Adapters and delete all entries (delete folders from the left pane).
f) Close the registry editor and reboot the VM.

3) Add the VMXNET3 NIC back to the VM.
a) Right-click the VM > Edit Settings > click Add > select Ethernet Adapter and click Next.
b) On the Network Connection page, select the VMXNET3 adapter type, select the network you want to connect to and most importantly, DESELECT connect at power on, and then click Next > Finish > OK.
c) Reboot the VM. Don’t skip this reboot.

any suggestions please ?

13 Replies
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hi,

have you tried another NIC, like e1000e for example when vmxnet3 is not working? Also try messaging VMware's support team that you have found a bug that kills networking.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
ykzhang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello there,

Thanks for reporting this.

We ever tried tools on Win10 TechPreview edition (both x86 & x64) but haven't observed any issue. So would you mind elaborating more on your scenario, including

1.May I know with which version you update ESXi from?

2.May I know the exact version/arch of your Win10?

3.169.154.x.x always indicate a reserved IP and it usually happened when it could not be allocated a DHCP IP. So would you mind checking if that is due to used up of all DHCP IPs?

4. Would you mind elaborating more about "kill the VM"? Do you mean the VM is shutdown/deleted after tools installation?

5. Would you mind helping to collect tools logs? For guest side logs, you could add the following lines in tools.conf

[logging]

log = true

# Enable tools service logging to a file.

vmtoolsd.level = debug

vmtoolsd.handler = file

vmtoolsd.data = c:/tmp/vmtoolsd.log

# Enable 'vmsvc' service logging to a file.

vmsvc.level = debug

vmsvc.handler = file

vmsvc.data = c:/tmp/vmsvc.log

# Enable VMwareResolutionSet.exe logging to a file.

vmresset.level = debug

vmresset.handler = file+

vmresset.data = c:/tmp/vmresset.log

# Enable new "vmusr" service logging to a file.

vmusr.level = debug

vmusr.handler = file

vmusr.data = c:/tmp/vmusr.${USER}.log

# Set the following configuration if you want to collect the logs for vmware-toolbox-cmd utility

toolboxcmd.level = debug

toolboxcmd.handler = file

toolboxcmd.data = c:/tmp/vmtoolboxcmd.log

# Enable old VMwareUser/vmware-user logging to file.

log.file = c:/tmp/vmtools.log

And then collect those log files (*.log). It would be great if you could also run ""Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vm-support.vbs"" and collect corresponding bundles on guest side.

For host side logs, vm-support bundle generated by (/usr/bin/vm-support) should be enough.

Thanks

Yike

Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you,

i've update from 5.5U2 to the 6.0 using installation Media.

the VM is version 10 and had latest Vmware tools installed.

tried to update the Vmware tools using the button update Vmware tools after i lost connectivity with the VM.

tried the vcenter to check on the vm, its gives error cant finish the update and need to try it,

i've followed the above steps , no vail

deleted the NIC and readded a new one no vail.

tried NIC E1000 no vail

tried NICE1000E no vail

updated the VM to versio VM11 no vail.

in the mean while i've created another Win 7 machine , but couldn't update the Vmware tools on the DC or EX.

created another VM Win 7 Pro 64 bit , tried to update the Vmware tools got the same problem, the VM is dead and Vmware tools can't be installed,

tried to retried the logs. but my mouse and keybords are not working on the vmware becauses the tools has been removed.

when i mean with Kill the VM,

means while upgrading its removed the old installed Vmware tools and try to install the new one but after the old one is removed, the new one is never gonna be installed.

i havent got the chance to install a VM and try to remove the installed Vmware tools and install the news one, because my host is already on 6.0 and using the new Vmware tools.

Note : creating a new VM and installing the New Vmware tools does works fine.

the issue happens when i tried to update the tools.

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Attached is the error i am getting while running a update !

please advise !

am i the only one with or there are others out there?

0 Kudos
ykzhang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for providing the detailed info. I am working on reproducing this issue locally. Would keep you posted.

BR

Yike

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just installed a new Win 8.1 Pro UEFI

the same happens after i tried to install Vmware Tools !

are the tools broke or what ?

0 Kudos
brunofernandez1

try to download the updates from here and install them manually:

https://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/6.0/windows/index.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you bruno,

are those Tools new than the one on the ESXI 6,0,0, 2494585 ?

i see the build number is exactly the same as installed one.

this issue occured just with Win 7 and win 8.

Win 2012R2 working fine  updates went smoothly

0 Kudos
brunofernandez1

yes, those are the same vmware tools.

but maybe is your source corrupted...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you,

i've downloaded the file and mounted,

after trying to install it got the same error !

even created a new VM and the same error

created VMS are UEFI, and BIOS

0 Kudos
brunofernandez1

have a look on this kb: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100390...

can you probally post de install log and Event logs?

0 Kudos
ykzhang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello there,

I setup an environment to simulate the scenario you used by

1. Install 6.0 ESX

2. Create Win7Entx64 VM

3. Install tools with 5.5U2 version

4. Upgrade tools to 6.0 version

No issue triggered. So I think it might be an issue only triggered after upgrading ESX

So would you mind

1.Elaborating more about how you upgrade the ESX. (mounting CD? upgrade through PXE? Or through VIB by esxcli command line?)

2.Even the VM not respond, you could still fetch the host side log (vmware*.log) for the guilty VM. Would you mind uploading such logs?

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you guys,

i will create a Win 8.1 Pr and try to install Vmware tools,

logos can be found on the map of the VM i believe ?

0 Kudos