VMware Cloud Community
michaelhannazak
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware ESXI 4 with ISCSI and SAN

i want Full comparison about iscsi and san

1- when to use SAN and when to use ( ISCSI - NAS )

2-whatNetApp added to this point

( performance , cost , disaster recovery , etc.... )

0 Kudos
3 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Best approach - go to the manufacturer pre-sales guys and request their case studies, white papers and a demo.

- FC SAN is most scalable, fastest, and of course most expensive. In particular the switching fabric.

- iSCSI SAN is much cheaper, not least because normal GigE switches can be used.

- NFS etc is cheapest and slowest (OpenFiler, FreeNAS, even Windows with Services for UNIX installed).

But there are lots of products at lots of price points. For example iSCSI could be run from OpenFIler, from an EMC Clarion type device, or a EqualLogic. All very different in terms of capabilities, vmware integration, performance, scalability and of course cost.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
michaelhannazak
Contributor
Contributor

how could i differ while i am going to create asolution for acustomer in this cases

1- he need to run Exchange - sql server - while using file server - and when how many users could the ISCSI with NAS handle

more information how could ISCSI with NAS could be more relaible while using VMware ESXI

How could netapp storage helpfull with NAS & ISCSI

0 Kudos
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need to benchmark the physical environment to determine MB/s and IOPS requirements in agregate, and design a solution to meet that plus any required headroom for growth.

vmware have tools, as do Microsoft, that will collect performance stats over a period of time. Or you could use PerfMon.

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos