VMware Cloud Community
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmotion to a server not in a cluster

Hi All,

I was trying to VMotion a VM from a server in a cluster to a ESXi 5.0 server not in a cluster yet. The compatibility check valided okay, but during the operation this error (see attached) shows up.

Both servers are Dell Poweredge, the destination server is a newer one though. I have read it is possible to vmotion from cluster to cluster.

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the error message, I assume the vMotion networks are not in the same range!?

Can you plese provide some details about the network setup.

André

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

It is possibly to vmotion across clusters.  In this case, however, your vmotion vmks aren't able to talk to each other (probably due to missing routing), so you dont meet the vmotion requirements (vmk links able to communicate).

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Yes it think it is a vmotion network issue. But I'm not sure what is going on.

I moved a VM to another host in the same cluster with vmotion. This was not a problem at all. Then I moved the VM to the host not in the cluster. This worked again too. So it seems I have one host in the cluster which has an issue to move to the host not in the cluster.

Anyway I have a workaround and moved all VM away of this host. The host will be upgraded now to ESXi 5.0 anyway.

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos