VMware Cloud Community
kurtd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmotion Nic Teaming esxi 5.1

We do not have shared storage so we do vmotion and storage motion simultaneous with live virtual machines to other hosts.  I have 3 1gbit nics dedicated to vmotion and I wonder what's the best way to configure them in order to get best performance when moving a virtual machine with 1.5 TB disk.

Right now I have one vSwitch with one port group containing 3 active nics.  Should I instead have two or three port groups as shown in this video ?http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200746...

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

As I recall the files are not moved through the vMotion network - only what the VM has stored ina hosts memory is moved across the vMotion network - If you are not relying on SAN technologies then you will have to beef up the through put through the vmkernel ports -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
AustinArnold
Contributor
Contributor

Correct - the files are moved through the VMKernel network for local storage

0 Kudos
kurtd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a separate vSwitch for the Management and Vmotion networks.  Both are VMkernal port groups so I'm not sure what you mean.  If files are not transfers through the vmotion switch then I probably don't need to dedicate 3 nics to vmotion.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct - the extra NICs on the vmotion are not necessary -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
kurtd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So how can I increase the speed when both host and datastore are changed during vmotion?  Would I need to add more network cards to the management network instead?  And how would I configure nic teaming to gain better performance?

0 Kudos
kurtd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos