ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Vmotion Failure

Posted Oct 26, 2012 01:48 PM

Hi,

I have two hosts running vSphere 5.0 with 40 Logical Processors each (total 80 Logical Processors in a Cluster). I have an Enterprise License as well. Right now I only have one VM with 20 vCPU. When I try to manually vMotion my VM to the other host, I got an error as shown from the screenshot below.

Anybody knows what could be the problem?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Vmotion Failure

Posted Oct 26, 2012 02:01 PM

Are both hosts definitely licenced with an Enterprise licence?

It sounds like one of the hosts is only licenced for Standard edition (ie. 8-way vCPU entitlement);

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/compare-editions.html

• 3.  RE: Vmotion Failure

Posted Oct 26, 2012 02:03 PM

Yes they are both Enterprise License. That's the first thing I checked when I got the error.

• 4.  RE: Vmotion Failure

Posted Oct 26, 2012 02:13 PM

Sorry for asking the obvious, but always need to ask when you dont have the screen in front of you :smileyhappy:

Perhaps try restart the VMware License Server service on your vCenter server to see if this is the issue, and then change the host license to (no license key) evaluation mode, and then back to your enterprise licence. this might not identify the root cause, but might re-rigister the licence correctly and get your vMotion + DRS (if configured) working again.

• 5.  RE: Vmotion Failure

Posted Oct 26, 2012 02:20 PM

Unless I'm mistaken the vSphere 5.0 Enterprise license only supports 8-way vSMP (32-way with Enterprise Plus)!? Can you confirm both hosts have the Enterprise license applied and none of them run in evaluation mode which allows 32-way vSMP?

André

• 6.  RE: Vmotion Failure

Posted Oct 26, 2012 02:26 PM

See page 4 (this should support 32-way with Entprise);

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

• 7.  RE: Vmotion Failure

Posted Oct 26, 2012 04:01 PM

This document is about vSphere 5.1. In vSphere 5.0 the maximum for Enterprise is 8 vCPUs per VM.

André

• 8.  RE: Vmotion Failure
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 26, 2012 04:16 PM

Sorry, by bad ...

• 9.  RE: Vmotion Failure

Posted Nov 20, 2012 02:30 AM

thanks jrmunday