VMware Cloud Community
Edi47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmotion Failing

Hi Guys,

I have two servers HP DL 380 G5 and HP DL 380 G6 configured shared storage and etc also enabled vmotion but when I try to vmotion a VM from one host to another host i get the below error how can I resolve this.

2058038_1.png

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Move all the VMs to one host.  Create a new cluster and move the host with no VMs to it.  Shutdown your vCenter host, then connect directly to the hosts with the vSphere client.  Unregister the VM on the host where it was running, and then register it on the host that was put in the new cluster.  Once you bring it online you can use it to migrate the remaining VMs to the other host and the finally the 2nd host to the new cluster.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The two server have CPU that have different features - you will either need to manually set the CPU masking for the VM or if the two host are part of a DRS cluster enable EVC so that vCenter will automatically do the masking for you - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Edi47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wienstein,

Thanks for your reponse yes they are part of DRS Cluster I have already tried enable EVC but when i try to enable it in my cluster it says my hosts have incompatable hardware. any other ideas ?

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Check this kb.. http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100321...

are you selecting correct base line

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
sa2057
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Did you check BIOS settings??

VT and no execute bit is enabled

Could you pl. post the output if your problem is fixed.

Thanks

SA

0 Kudos
Edi47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have checked one of the host Dl  380 G5 VT and no execute bit is enabled but the other host is running live vms on it so ill check it out this weekend and let you guys know how I go.

0 Kudos
djradium
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We had a similiar issue on our infrastructure a while back. Rather than taking the steps to mask the bits on the CPU's it was easier for us to power down the virtual infrastructure out of hours, enable EVC at the correct level then power the machines back on to bring them all within the same feature set. This resolved it for us.

0 Kudos
Edi47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But my vcenter is virtual so i can turn off everything except vcenter Smiley Sad  any other ideas ??

0 Kudos
Edi47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also guys i checked both of my hosts VT is enbaled see the screen shots below.

m205838-1.jpg

m205838-2.jpg

m205838-3.jpg

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Move all the VMs to one host.  Create a new cluster and move the host with no VMs to it.  Shutdown your vCenter host, then connect directly to the hosts with the vSphere client.  Unregister the VM on the host where it was running, and then register it on the host that was put in the new cluster.  Once you bring it online you can use it to migrate the remaining VMs to the other host and the finally the 2nd host to the new cluster.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Edi47 wrote:

Also guys i checked both of my hosts VT is enbaled see the screen shots below.

2058038_6.jpg

Did you also check the option called Intel Virtualization Technology? There was no screenshot on that.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
Edi47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Richard,

isnt intel VT -D "Intel Virtualization Technology" ?

0 Kudos
Edi47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dave,

what do you mean by "Shutdown your vCenter host, then connect directly to the hosts with the vSphere client" if shutdown the host i wont able to login to my host via Vsphere client ??

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Edi47 wrote:

Hi Richard,

isnt intel VT -D "Intel Virtualization Technology" ?

Kind of, but it is more a special technology to give hardware devices to VMs. The Intel-VT is the original CPU virtualization that enables the hypervisor to offload some software operations to the hardware.

0 Kudos
Edi47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Sa,

Thanks for your post I run the # esxcfg-info|grep "HV Support" command on both hosts and got the below output.

And according to link u provided 3 Means  VT/AMD-V indicates that VT or AMD-V is enabled in the BIOS and can be used.

any other suggestions ?

Cheers

Ed

0 Kudos
sa2057
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Output seems to fine. sorry but did you try this document..

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101311...

Could pl. update your post if this document helps.

Thanks

SA

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Another way to check VT status is to locate a VM, with Windows 2008 for example and look into the vmware.log file in the VM folder.

Check for lines including the line MONITOR and paste the result.

0 Kudos
Edi47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2012-05-11T05:41:13.719Z| vmx| hostCpuFeatures = 0x4c6001fd
2012-05-11T05:41:13.719Z| vmx| hostNumPerfCounters = 4
2012-05-11T05:41:13.719Z| vmx| MONITOR MODE: allowed modes          : BT32 HV HWMMU
2012-05-11T05:41:13.719Z| vmx| MONITOR MODE: user requested modes   : BT32 HV HWMMU
2012-05-11T05:41:13.719Z| vmx| MONITOR MODE: guestOS preferred modes: HWMMU HV BT32
2012-05-11T05:41:13.719Z| vmx| MONITOR MODE: filtered list          : HWMMU HV BT32

0 Kudos
Edi47
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Vmotion is working now thanks to Dave's post that did the trick.

Regards

Ed

0 Kudos