VMware Cloud Community
salshawwa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmnic numbering changed due to adding a new network card

hi , i was looking for the easiest safest way to fix vmnic numbering

after attaching a new network card to the server , vmnic numbering went wacky for the intel network cards , the broadcoms stayed intact " cool"

i was looking on some articles online about editing the esx.conf under /etc/vmware and changing the vmnic numbering to whatever it was and then deleting the mismatched ones from the child lines then rebooting the server should fix stuff up?

is there a better way or that should take care of it?

Running ESX 4.1.0 659051

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peterdabr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

This link appears to describe it on ESX 4.

Also, this is the procedure to follow when adding/removing nics from ESX(i) hosts:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=197104...

Peter D.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
peterdabr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

This link appears to describe it on ESX 4.

Also, this is the procedure to follow when adding/removing nics from ESX(i) hosts:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=197104...

Peter D.

0 Kudos
salshawwa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks peterdabr for the answer , yes i followed the instruction and i was able to fix the vmnics on all of them except one funny weird thing

we added new network cards on all the hosts , intel corporation 82576 GB network adapter , and the nics showed up correctly after modify esx.conf under /etc/vmware

but

one of the hosts , for some reasons it joined all 8 intel corporation 82576 GB ports under one name " vnics from 7-11 under intel corporation  82576GB etc..

while on the other is slipping 4 on each one  " i attached a picture "

Capture1.JPG

while on the rest of the hosts it looks like that

Capture2.JPG

could it be a firmware issue?

0 Kudos
peterdabr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

It could be a firmware issue. I would probably leave it like that....unless you really wanted to get to the bottom of this..if that's the case and if I were you I probably move the card to another slot to see if it categorizes it differently, then move the same card to another server and see how it sees the card there, and finally look for disrepancies in firmware version.

Thanks,

Peter D.

0 Kudos
salshawwa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

on the last server both of the intel cards are the same version thats why they are showing up under one adapter , damn  i need to check my eyes.

thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos