VMware Cloud Community
dcie
Contributor
Contributor

VmkCtl Locking (/etc/vmware/esx.conf) : Attempt to relock an already locked ConfigFileLocker. This should be prevented by the ConfigFile class, something is amiss.

It,s all in the title really.

Since we applied host profiles to hosts, we are getting there locking error on the file /etc/mvware/esx.conf on  some hosts.

They are all running ESXi 5.1u1

Anyone got this error sometime?

VmkCtl Locking (/etc/vmware/esx.conf) : Attempt to relock an already locked ConfigFileLocker.  This should be prevented by the ConfigFile class, something is amiss.

Tags (1)
9 Replies
ShadyMalatawey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi...

This happens when u try to connect them with vCenter like this case:

VMware KB: ESXi host is disconnected from vCenter Server due to sfcbd exhausting inodes

I hope this help..

Sincerely, Shady Ali El-Malatawey MCITP: Virtualization Administration 2008 VCP5-DCV/DT --- VCAP5-DCA/DCD @ShadyMalatawey https://virtualpharaohs.com
0 Kudos
dcie
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Shady, thanks for the link, im not sure it is related to what I am experiencing.

At the time I am not connecting the host to the vcenter server, and from what I can see the error message in the KB are not the same, the one I get is not a out of space, it's file already locked. Anyway thanks for the try Smiley Wink.

0 Kudos
Ramakrishnan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am facing the same issue and i am unable to address the issue. Did you find anything on the same.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, this is just double locking scenario. In most cases, it would ignore and some alert the user. The setting is set in esx.conf file.

Can you try to restart the management services on the host where you are facing this issue?

0 Kudos
dcie
Contributor
Contributor

So this is yet another ERROR that we should disregard?

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In most cases no, we need to find out who is double locking and why.. If you have support contract, then VMware support would help you out in case.

0 Kudos
Ramakrishnan
Contributor
Contributor

I tried restarting the management agents but i am unable to resolve the issue. I will check with VMware and update the post. Thanks for your assistance and help

0 Kudos
Ramakrishnan
Contributor
Contributor

Received an update from the VMware SR owner

a. The event is logged by the /sbin/autobackup.sh script which runs excatly once in one hour.

b. VMKCtl warning message occurs, when the other process access the esx.conf during the script is running and locking esx.conf.

c. So the above warning message is harmless and no effect of the system and therefore this can be ignored.

nokernel
Contributor
Contributor

That is good to know Smiley Happy thanks for the follow up on this. I will have a look at autobackup.sh

0 Kudos