VMware Cloud Community
Nardacchio
Contributor
Contributor

VmWare Update Manager Esx 4.0

Dear All,

I'm looking into a Esx 4.0 and I'm proceding to used all apps that I can used with Advanced License ... after Vcenter and HA I have added Update Manager ... after first download patch I have seen that there are patch that should be install starting from 2009 ...

Important that on patch is presente ESX 4.1 ... my question is: Should I install anywhere patch about esx 4.0 or I could start install esx 4.1 ? Update manager manage automatically Host upgrade or should I install upgrade esx 4.1 on host using command line ?

Thanks to all

Regards

16 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, if you are using ESX 4.0 and an update manager, you can create a baseline for the 4.0 and the update manager will check the list of the patches for the host 4.0 from 2009 and will cancel the patches which supersede the older patches and only the patches which are latest and unique will be given to you when you scan.

0 Kudos
Nardacchio
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry but this is first time I do this operation .. When I try to create a baseline is request an iso file ... could you explain where should I create this baseline ?

ISO or zip file must be download from VmWare page or has been downloaded directly from Update Manager ?

I'm sorry but this is first time that I used VUM ...

Thanks

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just to clarify, are you trying to apply patches and update your ESX 4.0 ? or are you trying to upgrade your 4.0  host to 4.1?

0 Kudos
Nardacchio
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like first of all apply patches for Esx 4.0 and in second step, when company will find user for download iso esx 4.1, upgrade esx too ...

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Actually, it is not required to apply ALL the patches of 4.0 and then upgrade to 4.1 latest. You can directly upgrade to 4.1 latest update and apply patches from there.

However, to apply baseline for 4.0 refer this link

Nardacchio
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again I'll do upgrade 4.1 and patches from there ... thanks again

0 Kudos
Nardacchio
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

just another information because it's not clear for me on documentation ... I can upgrade Esx using  VCenter 4.0.0-934016 or I must upgrade first VCenter with 4.1 and after ESX ?

I think that I sghould upgrade ESX to 4.1 on 1 HOST using VCenter 4.0.0-934016 and after upgrade other 2 HOST I'll upgrade VCenter too ....

Thanks.

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

If your upgrading the ESX from 4.0 to 4.1, you should have Update Manager version 4.1 and Update Manager 4.1 is compatible (VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes ) to work only with 4.1 vCenter server.

Also ESX4.1 is not compatible to work with vCenter server 4.0

So recommended upgrade would be

- Upgrade vCenter server to 4.1

- Upgrade Update Manager to 4.1

- Upgrade vSphere infrastructure client to 4.1

- Upgrade ESX to 4.1

Upgrade to latest Update 4.1Update03.

-Nithin

--Nithin
Nardacchio
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

So Vcenter 4.1 can run on Esx 4.0 ?

I'd forwar this step:

. Upgrade VCenter 4.1

. Upgrade Update Manager 4.1

. With 3 hosts, Move VMs from 1 host to other 3, remove it from VCenter 4.0 and connect it on VCenter 4.1 and after that I  can upgrade to ESX 4.1 using Update Manager 4.1

Correct ?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

vCenter 4.1 can be used to manage ESX4.0 hosts.

vCenter 4.0 cannot manage ESX4.1 hosts.

--Nithin
Nardacchio
Contributor
Contributor

Can I upgrade Vcenter 4.0 to VCenter 4.1 without lost configuration ?

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

Yes, you can.

If you have vCenter server 4.0 installed on 32bit operating system, then you need to follow data migration procedure because vCenter 4.1 need to install on 64bit Operating system (only 64bit OS is supported for vCenter 41 onwards)

If you have vCenter server 4.0 installed on 64bit Operating system, then its a direct upgrade.

Refer vSphere41 upgrade guide for detailed procedure.

-Nithin

--Nithin
Nardacchio
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your fast answer !!!

0 Kudos
Nardacchio
Contributor
Contributor

Last question before of start with operation ... If I upgrade VCenter, has impact on HOST and VMs ?

I'd like upgrade it immediately but I don't know if have impact on actual production environment ...

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert

No, During upgrade of vCenter server, no downtime required for ESX and Virtual machine. But DRS and other vCenter server related operations will not work during vCenter server upgrade.

--Nithin
0 Kudos
Nardacchio
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again !!!!

0 Kudos