VMware Cloud Community
basheerptm
Contributor
Contributor

VmWare ESXi 5.0 : how to know the host uptime?

Hi,

Is there a way to view the uptime of the esxi 5.0 host uptime through GUI or CLI?

Thanks for your support.

7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure whether there's a place to see this in the GUI for a stand alone host. Anyway, you can run the uptime command on the CLI.

André

basheerptm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that, is there a way to access the CLI from the  vsphere client? I dont have physical access to the server right away. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Enable SSH on the host and use Putty to access the access host and type uptime

Alternativey using vSphere Client

Click vCener server (left site) --> hosts tab in right window and on right site you will see uptime for all hosts

(OR)

Login to vSphere Client - > Home -> Inventory -> Datastores..

Click on any datastore on the right pane and then click on Hosts tab on right pane.And now you see the uptime of all hosts connected to the datastore.

Message was edited by: aravinds3107 : Provided steps using vSphere Client

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
basheerptm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, through SSH i got it. through GUI it is not showing. May be i am using ver 5 and the free version.

Thanks again. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In case you have PowerCLI installed on your PC, you could also run

Connect-VIServer <IP or hostname>

Get-VMHost | Get-View | select @{N="Uptime"; E={(Get-Date) - $_.Summary.Runtime.BootTime}}

André

0 Kudos
7layerorg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

On the GUI click on the host server (top left corner), then go to performance tab. (about middle of the screen)

Here chose from the scroll down menu the system. / Switch to: System /  (top right side of the screen)

And then on the bottom of the page: / Performance Chart Legend /

Find the host(server) name: this is the Object on the left side. / Key | Object /

The middle is called Measurement: and this is the Uptime of the server. Smiley Happy

It shows the Uptime in days exactly just like in the ssh console.

0 Kudos
Avneet_Dabas
Contributor
Contributor

This command is quick and easy way to find UPTIME. But, It was not giving me consistent results. As my ESX servers are distributes across continents in different time zones and my VC was in North America.

So, I modified the above command to work in all time zones.

Get-VMHost  | Get-View | select Name, @{N="Uptime"; E={(Get-Date).touniversaltime() - ($_.Summary.Runtime.BootTime).touniversaltime()}}

0 Kudos