VMware Cloud Community
chartierm
Contributor
Contributor

Vm wrong storage usage displayed

Hi,

I'm in a 5.5U2 vSphere environnement and I just figured out that many (I didn't had time to check them all) storage report for the VMs is not accurate. For example, a VM with a 80GB thin disk dans 10GB of ram is displaying in the web and vsphere clients that the used space is 19.97GB. In the datastore browser, the vmdk file is about 19GB big si that's ok, but in the VM OS, I use 25GB !

So I did some seach on others VM and in certain cases, the client report 9GB of use, 15Gb in the datastore browser for the file, and 20GB in the Os!

So it's like the numbers from the vSphere and web clients are wrong in many places and cases.

Does someone already see that?

I have a case open with Vmware support but right now, they have no idea...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vervoortjurgen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

just an idea

but does your storage do deduplication?

used storage on the vm = disks + memory and snapshots

kind regards Vervoort Jurgen VCP6-DCV, VCP-cloud http://www.vdssystems.be
0 Kudos
Wscholz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It might be our old friend, the Inventory Service. Have you considered resetting the inventory database or has support already told you so ? You could also check the oldest entry in the vpx_property_Bulletin table in the vcenter database. I had one time a similar problem with different values between fat client and web client and in my case it turned out that his table was flooded with old values. You could check it with something like this:

select MOD_TIME from VPX_PROPERTY_BULLETIN order by MOD_TIME ASC

------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found my answer useful please consider marking it as "correct" or "helpful". Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
chartierm
Contributor
Contributor

The storage dosen't use dedup, only thin provisionning.

For the inventory, I will try this and let you know.

The support is asking me to defrag the OS drive and manually check the size of all files on the drive!!

0 Kudos