VMware Cloud Community
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Visual bug: duplicate VM in Startup & Shutdown > Any order list

I have found a visual bug in ESXi 5.5 as shown in the image below.

I have two ESXi 5.5 hosts:

1 ESXi 5.5 U2 2068190 in a Dell PE R710 server

2 ESXi 5.5 U2 Rollup2 2075275 inside a VM hosted inside VM Workstation

I can reproduce this visual bug happens with the following steps

1. ESXi host is freshly installed

2. Upload a VM inside the ESXi

3. Open "Startup & shutdown" list and enable "Allow virtual machines to start...." (of course, otherwise you can't do step 4 below)

4. Move the VM up to "Any order" list and validate it

esxi-5.5-visual-bug-duplicate-vm.png

It's not a big deal.  Just a visual bug.  It will go away on next ESXi reboot.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
antonmajor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try restarting the management agents on the host: ssh to host and run "services.sh restart"

if that fails....

Try removing the VM from inventory and adding it back.

Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

antonmajor wrote:

Try restarting the management agents on the host: ssh to host and run "services.sh restart"

Yeah, there might be other methods to substitute a host server reboot.  But that's not the point.

if that fails....

Try removing the VM from inventory and adding it back.

No, this does not work.  And it's not the point either.

The points are:

1. It's a visual bug -- so not very urgent

2. Nevertheless, VMware has to acknowledge this bug and fix it ASAP

2. There's no point to find a lot of workarounds since a reboot solves the problem and once again, it's a visual bug.

0 Kudos
antonmajor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NNever seen this bug before. Have you submitted this to vmware? If not, it won't get fixed. Either way it may just be an issue isolated to your setup and need to "refresh"

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

antonmajor wrote:

NNever seen this bug before. Have you submitted this to vmware? If not, it won't get fixed. Either way it may just be an issue isolated to your setup and need to "refresh"

No, I have not.  I thought it's enough to write in the forum and some VMware engineers would come here from time to time to take note of some bugs :smileyblush:

What is the method to submit bug please?

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

antonmajor wrote:

https://www.vmware.com/support/policies/defect

FYI, I don't have "active support agreement", so the only option for me is the 2nd paragraph in that page, ie

If you do not have an active support agreement and you want to alert us to a product defect, please post the issue to the appropriate product community on the VMware Technology Network.

Exactly what I thought :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
antonmajor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bummer. Well, the only thing to do is ignore it or try a million troubleshooting steps to resolve it.

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

antonmajor wrote:

Bummer. Well, the only thing to do is ignore it or try a million troubleshooting steps to resolve it.

Not necessarily.

If you have "active support agreement", you could report the bug in my behalf.  I'll give you totally allowance and blessing Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
antonmajor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos