VMware Cloud Community
satishchirala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Virtul machine Import Issue

Hi

I had issue while importing the Virtual Machine to ESX Server.please help me for sorting this issue.

I downloaded these file from ESX server and moving to Another Esx Server in Different Location

Virtual Machine Files

1) USSSTAPP125A.nvram                    8.48 KB

2)USSSTAPP125A. VMSD                     zero Bytes

3)USSSTAPP125A.VMX                         3.05 KB

4)USSSTAPP125A.VMXF                         267 bytes

5)USSSTAPP125A_1-flat.VMDK               20 Gb

6)USSSTAPP125A_2.VMDK                    407 Bytes

7)USSSTAPP125A_2-flat.VMDK                40 GB

8)USSSTAPP125A-flat.VMDK                    10gb

I want to import the File , My Virtual machine total Size is 40 GB Ony , But i  got total 70 GB in VM Folder , please give sugesstion to import the VM in ESX server

please explain the VMDK  types , when it will be used,VMDK, flat , delta( Snapshot )

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You just need to take care of the VM harddrives while trying to move from one ESX to another. i.e. download the files as below

here <Dis>-flat.vmdk is your actual disk file. where as USSSTAPP125A_2.VMDK is known as 'disk descriptor' file which points to the actual disk file

After downloading these files, import the same to another ESX server's data store. Then Create a VM by selecting custom option.

During the creation of the VM ( via custom mode ) it will ask for selection of harddisk --> Select existing harddisk option and point to the disk files you have uploaded to the datastore.

Note:- If there are some specific configuration set in your .vmx file of the VM ( Configuration file of the VM), then you may take backup of that as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You just need to take care of the VM harddrives while trying to move from one ESX to another. i.e. download the files as below

here <Dis>-flat.vmdk is your actual disk file. where as USSSTAPP125A_2.VMDK is known as 'disk descriptor' file which points to the actual disk file

After downloading these files, import the same to another ESX server's data store. Then Create a VM by selecting custom option.

During the creation of the VM ( via custom mode ) it will ask for selection of harddisk --> Select existing harddisk option and point to the disk files you have uploaded to the datastore.

Note:- If there are some specific configuration set in your .vmx file of the VM ( Configuration file of the VM), then you may take backup of that as well.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

to make your life easier, i would suggest doing via vmware converter.

0 Kudos
satishchirala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried with VMware Convertor  before writing discussion in vmware communite , but i'm getting  errors, so i posted . Any way thanks for Sending reply. Now my problem was solved , due to descriptors i faced this issue , now my VM is working

Thanks For Helping this Issue .......

0 Kudos
satishchirala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for Replying

i Hope there is some data loss on VMDK File , SO i asked the client to send the file again , Now it is working.....

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Great to hear that its working fine !

0 Kudos