VMware Cloud Community
aalborz02
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualizing vCenter Server Error

I did P2V of vCenter Server 4.0 running on Windows 2003 Server. After it comes up, when I try to bring it up with vSphere Client it gives me this error:

vSphere client could not connect to "server name FQDN". A connection failure occured (unable to connect to the remote server).

I'm sure somebody must have ran into this issue before. Is it better to do a clean install of vCenter on a VM instead of P2V?

TIA

Alex

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you reconfigure the network settings after the P2V? Is the vCenter Server service up and running?

André

aalborz02
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but I forgot to check that service, DOH!!!. I started it & now it's coming up.

But now I have another problem. I want to upgrade it to 4.1 & it tells me this processor type is supported. How do I make the virtual CPU 64-bit now?

Alex

0 Kudos
MagnetBoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter OS:  Is it a Windows 2003 32bit?

if your answer is yes, THEN there is no way to make it happend.

• I recommend you to create a new VM with Windows 2008/2003 64bit.
  • Install vCenter
  • Migrate database data from your 32bit vCenter to your new Windows 64bit vCenter VM
  • done!

Smiley Wink

VMware Certified Professional – Datacenter Virtualization (vSphere 5)
aalborz02
Contributor
Contributor

Yes but the devil is in the details!!! Specifically the database migration part.

I have no idea how to do that. Are there any docs to help with that?

Thanks

Alex

0 Kudos
afertmann
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alex,

vCenter 4.1 requires a 64-bit OS (XP SP2, 2003SP1, 2008, 2008R2 are supported).  Also, to run a 64-bit, your host needs to have CPUs with Intel-VT support.  Also make sure that VT is enabled in the system BIOS.

Also check out the following KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102213...

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
MagnetBoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how many hosts?

how many VMs?

are you using DRS, HA, FT, etc.?

do you want to keep perf data, schedules, customized roles, etc.?

I would just go ahead and setup everything from the beginning, manually.  It would be much easier!

I have done this a couple of times BUT I only have 6 HOST and like 45 VMs

Smiley Wink

VMware Certified Professional – Datacenter Virtualization (vSphere 5)
0 Kudos
afertmann
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with Magnet.  If your environment is small enough, it's a lot easier to rebuild vCenter fresh.  90% of the data in the DB is just statistics.  If you have base DRS and HA, etc config.  Rebuid!  I've done this numerous times as well.

0 Kudos